Hornet bait

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
can anyone give me a recipe for an effective bait in the hornet traps this time of year?

The one I have seen is 4/10 white wine, 4/10 hoppy beer, 2/10 blackcurrent cordial, courtesy of Plenty of Honey on here.

The one I have seen is 4/10 white wine, 4/10 hoppy beer, 2/10 blackcurrent cordial, courtesy of Plenty of Honey on here.

is that not more for autumn? I would expect something meaty in there this time around...

is that not more for autumn? I would expect something meaty in there this time around...

Not really, they home in on fruit and malt flavours. They are looking for sugars that are carbohydrate. They have a lot of work to do and are hungry after a long winters dormancy.
Just bought a load of stuff for my traps from Lidl. I use the cheapest white wine, Malty beer and cassis which is blacurrant cordial.
Briggs's recipe is fine, although you can up the white wine and beer one part each if you wish. Try and be selective as you can.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14137&stc=1&d=1489508144

Attachments

• image1[1].JPG
    image1[1].JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Not really, they home in on fruit and malt flavours. They are looking for sugars that are carbohydrate. They have a lot of work to do and are hungry after a long winters dormancy.
Just bought a load of stuff for my traps from Lidl. I use the cheapest white wine, Malty beer and cassis which is blacurrant cordial.
Briggs's recipe is fine, although you can up the white wine and beer one part each if you wish. Try and be selective as you can.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14137&stc=1&d=1489508144

Damn I knew why I love the French lidl over the English its the cordial and other things I cant get from them here. I feel a trip to Dieppe/Rouen coming soon.

Do you have a real problem with hornets in Canterbury?

Not that we know of but as the crow flies, we are only a couple of miles from France and daily ferries coming across. Thought I could get some info on queen trapping before they migrate over the channel...

Latest posts

Back