European Giant Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelphyta

New Bee
Reaction score
A friend found this in his backyard which we believe to be a European Giant hornet. It was found in the daytime. Anyone have any information on what my friend can do about this? Here is a video of it. European Giant hornet

A friend found this in his backyard which we believe to be a European Giant hornet. It was found in the daytime. Anyone have any information on what my friend can do about this? Here is a video of it. European Giant hornet
Yes, just release it, as it’s probably a queen about to hibernate. European hornets are good to have around🐝

Oops! I didn’t realise you were across the pond until Id posted, but I would think releasing it is still the right thing to do.

Yes, just release it, as it’s probably a queen about to hibernate. European hornets are good to have around🐝

Oops! I didn’t realise you were across the pond until Id posted, but I would think releasing it is still the right thing to do.
He has found multiple of these in his yard. He saw 3 today alone.

They are treasured insect here in the UK and cause no issues , those in the know let them be to get on with life.
As native in the USA they should also be left to prosper as they are no real threat to humans or bees.
They are nothing like the Giant Mandarin hornet found in Washington state last year which is an invasive bee killer.

from Wikipedia
"The European hornet was accidentally introduced to eastern North America about the middle of the 19th century and has lived there since at about the same latitudes as in Europe. However, it has never been found in western North America."
so OK to release....

Latest posts

Back