Hopeful Beginner!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to get this question done first!!!
First off, is 74 way too old to start beekeeping?? Obviously retired! Have lots of time on my hands. Have other questions and pictures ready to go!! Appreciate your advice
I'm 82 3/4 👴and have four wooden Nationals and two poly - which are a bit lighter. The wooden hives have Abelo poly roofs - much lighter. The job I struggle with is taking off the supers full of honey, and then lifting them back with clearer boards in between, then taking them off again.
A few years ago I had a bad back so put an advert in the parish mag for 'student or 6th former (it was August) to help lift heavy boxes from the hives and transfer them to my van then kitchen.' I had 3-4 replies!

I'm 82 3/4 👴and have four wooden Nationals and two poly - which are a bit lighter. The wooden hives have Abelo poly roofs - much lighter. The job I struggle with is taking off the supers full of honey, and then lifting them back with clearer boards in between, then taking them off again.
A few years ago I had a bad back so put an advert in the parish mag for 'student or 6th former (it was August) to help lift heavy boxes from the hives and transfer them to my van then kitchen.' I had 3-4 replies!
Hi Amari! Well at present, I am ok with weights, but take it on board!!

I'm a member of West Norfolk & King's Lynn Beekeepers. They are a friendly lot. I recommend the Improvers Course if you can get on it, but it is possibly full already. I'm also in N Norfolk and I know of a lovely chap who is reducing the number of hives that he has and if you are interested in buying [complete with colony] he has posted an ad on the latest WN&KLBA news update.
Hi Mcbear. Did the course, maybe 5 years ago!! It was a good group with excellent experts. Even on marketplace, there is someone, reducing his hives with a few new hives. I am going to take my time and get things ready first. A mentor would be good, be able to help out!! Retired now, with lots of spare time!! Thanks for the advice. I am in Holt!!!!

Yes, but hopefully your beekeeping hobby will last several years by which time sarcopenia (= age-related muscle loss) will affect your ability to lift. It won't be the only part of your body to shrink.........:(;)
Thanks for the prognosis!! I will just give up then!! Thank you!

I am in Holt
Nice part of the world, Terry. Few years ago I researched that area to get hives onto the sea lavender. Knocked on a few farmhouse doors without luck, and the best strip of coast is owned by the Holkham Estate, and was tied up by an RBI (sinc retd.).

I recall trying in Stiffkey; the farmer already had a beekeeper on the coast, but grumbled about getting rid, as the bees were almost abandoned. I drove down those narrow lanes to the marshes and found that the bees were quite frisky, even at a distance.

Age related muscle loss can be reduced by regular repetitive stress exercises: like squats, planks or press ups. If you take your time building up the number of repetitions and stop before you feel pain, then there is no reason why strength cannot be not only retained but also increased.

But you need a schedule of suitable exercises, be prepared to do them on a regular basis and not stop/start. I find 20 minutes a day 5 days a week is fine. But if starting from scratch after doing none, then you need also to consider spinal mobility and do various spinal twists. ( a yoga/pilates class should be ideal for this)

Once your body is used to it then you can build muscle and end up stronger and fitter than many 30 or so years younger. Lifting 20 to 40kg boxes in summer and doing no exercises in winter is likely to end badly as you age.

Yes, but hopefully your beekeeping hobby will last several years by which time sarcopenia (= age-related muscle loss) will affect your ability to lift.
reminds me of the last Pembrokeshire BKA bee auction - the late great beemaster Ricky Wilson (a mere 83 year old at the time) rolled up his new toy - a Toyota pickup with a HIAB installed to aid with lifting beehives/supers on and off the back. One of the bargains he snapped up that day was a nearly new chest freezer. at the end of the day in rolled the bee truck and pulled up next to the freezer and everybody gathered around (some with camera phones poised) to witness the hive lift in action, out of the truck jumped Ricky and his pal David (same age) walked up to the freezer, stood each side of it then just picked it up as if it were an empty egg carton and lobbed it into the back of the pickup!! :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Nice part of the world, Terry. Few years ago I researched that area to get hives onto the sea lavender. Knocked on a few farmhouse doors without luck, and the best strip of coast is owned by the Holkham Estate, and was tied up by an RBI (sinc retd.).

I recall trying in Stiffkey; the farmer already had a beekeeper on the coast, but grumbled about getting rid, as the bees were almost abandoned. I drove down those narrow lanes to the marshes and found that the bees were quite frisky, even at a distance.
"Frisky'' Dont need that!! Nice coast line, can be a bit wild!!

Age related muscle loss can be reduced by regular repetitive stress exercises: like squats, planks or press ups. If you take your time building up the number of repetitions and stop before you feel pain, then there is no reason why strength cannot be not only retained but also increased.

But you need a schedule of suitable exercises, be prepared to do them on a regular basis and not stop/start. I find 20 minutes a day 5 days a week is fine. But if starting from scratch after doing none, then you need also to consider spinal mobility and do various spinal twists. ( a yoga/pilates class should be ideal for this)

Once your body is used to it then you can build muscle and end up stronger and fitter than many 30 or so years younger. Lifting 20 to 40kg boxes in summer and doing no exercises in winter is likely to end badly as you age.
Weird!! I do a few exercises in the morning, planks for a minute, front, side, other side. a few chair exercises. Then the same at night, only takes 5/10 mins. Thanks madasafish.

Latest posts

Back