Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolknchance

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Would I be right in saying Honey from one area only helps with Hay fever in that area,please excuse any pronounceation problems I have as im deaf and dislesxic,

So it is said but mostly allergenic plants are wind pollinating and not much to do with honey

So it is said but mostly allergenic plants are wind pollinating and not much to do with honey

I've often thought the same thing, grass and tree pollen are the worst culprits- although OSR seems to affect a lot of people.

The pollen of the wind pollinated plants like grasses does get into honey....it goes everywhere, including into flowers, especially upward facing cup shaped ones, where it ends up being collected by bees along with the flower's pollen.

I am not convinced it stops hayfever though. Anyone got any evidence that it does?

My son used to be heavily affected in Spring, but since I started bee-keeping and he started eating honey - his symptoms are far less. When he went to Oz last winter (their summer) and couldn't afford honey...all his symptoms came back...Anecdotal - but it seemed to work for him...He is in his 20s by the way - so didn't 'grow out of it'...

Still wary how to reply when people ask - as I am sure it doesn't work for everyone...

Last edited:
My son used to be heavilye...

And I know many who are allergic to honey.

I got food allergy from home wine making at the age of 30.

egg
chocolade
wine
citrus fruits
apple
yughurt
and tens more..

I sell only good tasting honey. I do not sell miracles. It is somebody elses' job.

My son used to be heavily affected in Spring, but since I started bee-keeping and he started eating honey - his symptoms are far less. When he went to Oz last winter (their summer) and couldn't afford honey...all his symptoms came back...Anecdotal - but it seemed to work for him...He is in his 20s by the way - so didn't 'grow out of it'...

Still wary how to reply when people ask - as I am sure it doesn't work for everyone...

If people asks if it works, my usual answer is 'I've no idea, but a lot of people do say that' or similar.

On an Association stand at a local show recently I was asked if we had any cut comb or chunk honey for sale (we didn't). The customer was a local hay fever sufferer & claimed that it was the wax not the honey that did wonders for his hayfever. I 'd not heard that claim before.

On an Association stand at a local show recently I was asked if we had any cut comb or chunk honey for sale (we didn't). The customer was a local hay fever sufferer & claimed that it was the wax not the honey that did wonders for his hayfever. I 'd not heard that claim before.

I had an email inquiry asking if I had any cut comb and they insisted that they needed cut comb for hay fever aswell!

I had an email inquiry asking if I had any cut comb and they insisted that they needed cut comb for hay fever aswell!

Cut comb probably contains more pollen than bottled honey that has been fine filtered to produce a crystal clear product.

Just a thought - I don't know if it helps either.:drool5:

thread resurrection instead of starting another.

A friend of mine suffers with really bad hayfever, she cannot function without medication during summer.
I gave her a jar of OSR honey to try (all i had at the time) she has been taking 1 teaspoon a day.
Yesterday she called round for another jar. She told me it had made her a lot better eyes weren't running all the time she wasn't sneezing constantly and generally felt loads better.
I offered her a jar of the summer honey as i thought it would have a more diverse pollen content but she insisted on the OSR honey again as she liked it and it had worked.
She has been to the doctors and talked to him about how honey has made her symptoms better and how much better she feels in herself. To my surprise the doctor didn't dismiss this as claptrap, infact he asked her where i was and if she thought i would mind if he suggested some more patients tried my honey as normal medication didn't work on those people either.

I have never had hayfever so don't understand what the condition is like.
Two people have now told me that their hayfever is much better after eating my honey.
I used a coarse and fine stainless filter so it isn't filtered too much.

A few of my 'customers' claim that the honey has really helped them - so as Skyhook says, if anyone asks me, I always say that some people have told me that it has made a big difference to them. People have also come to me as their doctor has suggested they try local honey, so there are obviously quite a lot of believers - which is very different from proof!

People buy my honey because they like it and people buy it because they claim it helps their hayfever, either way it benefits me.

Our experiences are the reverse. Youngest son gets hayfever badly. He eats our honey all spring/summer. Makes no difference - none discernable that is.

The pollen of the wind pollinated plants like grasses does get into honey....it goes everywhere, including into flowers, especially upward facing cup shaped ones, where it ends up being collected by bees along with the flower's pollen.

I am not convinced it stops hayfever though. Anyone got any evidence that it does?

A good deal of my punters believe it does, so who am I to argue? I make no claims either way, mind.

I had a new customer last week who has been using honey (sometimes manuka) to treat an eye condition.

He introduces a small amount on a bud or something else sterile and it causes stinging and the production of lots of tears. After 5/10 minutes, he washes his eyes and he has considerable relief from his symptoms.

He bought four last week and wants another five now. He also finds honey helps his acid reflux (as does another guy I know).

Apparently, it is an old Indian technique that has been used for centuries. Whoe knew? Well, they did, obviously.

Latest posts

Back