• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Honey wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello bee keepers, I'm a homebrewer and use honey for mead and honey ale as well as for eating, I was purchasing from a commercial place in Sussex an imported blend for about £1.70 per lb but would rather "support" ;) the independent bee keeper and have some quality English honey, so if anyone has a surplus and not too far I'd be very interested, thanks.

your best bet would be to contact the nearest association to you, there is a list here http://www.sussexbee.org.uk/

I would say though you would be extremely lucky to get local honey for a price anywhere near that im afraid. It is a premium product and as such commands a premium price. The wholesale price paid to beekeepers is more than that.

doh. my homer moment lol

Hello there, thanks for the replies.

Yes I'm still up for buying some honey, I wouldn't expect to buy good honey for that price, I only used it as an example and yes it wasn't any good either shame as I bought 30kg of it.

Prize winning and give away shouldnt be in the same sentence

Its an open forum my opinion is given freely

Thank for your worthless response, perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself in future.

Everyone's entitled to express an opinion here. You can like it or lump it.

If you can get raw honey for anything like £1.70, do let me know as I'll buy some, too.

Perhaps I should start a new thread titled "opinions wanted" then I'll get inundated with offers of honey, lol.

If someone wants to sell their product for less, then that's their business, I don't see why people need to comment on that, its a bit petty and small minded.

I'm letting you know Paynes do a blossom honey that can be bought for £1.67 per lb, so go buy some.

And where does it originate from ? not England, you get what you pay for at that price.

If someone wants to sell their product for less, then that's their business, I don't see why people need to comment on that, its a bit petty and small minded.

No, it's not. It's OUR business, too. We're trying to sell a premium product, which raw honey is. If people dump honey on our market (however small and parochial) we have every right to complain about that.

It doesn't make it wrong, or illegal, but we can still complain about it.

If Paynes are selling it that cheap, who knows where it comes from or what is in it. I wouldn't eat it, but brewing might be OK.

No, it's not. It's OUR business, too. We're trying to sell a premium product, which raw honey is. If people dump honey on our market (however small and parochial) we have every right to complain about that.

It doesn't make it wrong, or illegal, but we can still complain about it.

If Paynes are selling it that cheap, who knows where it comes from or what is in it. I wouldn't eat it, but brewing might be OK.

He gets the price he wants as the seller and the buyer gets a product for a price they are happy with, sounds ideal to me. And no I don't think you have any right to complain about it.

The honey from Paynes is nothing but sugary blandness as is the premium Sussex honey and I'm sorry to admit that Morrison's own brand blended eu honey is far superior for flavour that actually comes through in brewing my favourite honey ale, so, I really would like to try some good quality English honey if I can get my hands on some.

Cheers.

And no I don't think you have any right to complain about it.

Well, that is patent nonsense. Of course I have a perfect right to complain. I'm not talking about legal action or storming parliament.

The honey from Paynes is nothing but sugary blandness as is the premium Sussex honey and I'm sorry to admit that Morrison's own brand blended eu honey is far superior for flavour that actually comes through in brewing my favourite honey ale, so, I really would like to try some good quality English honey if I can get my hands on some.

OK, I give in. You can have a 30lb bucket for £4.50/lb, so £135 and I'll throw in the bucket for free. DM me and we'll sort out the details.

Latest posts

Back