Honey strainer advice when extracting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ideally, how many strainers is needed when extracting?

I only have a fine strainer (400 microns), which I believe is 0.4mm.................Could I get away with using only that one?

Or would I need a larger strainer (eg. 1mm to 1.5mm) as well?

I only have 3 or 4 frames to do.

You could use a kitchen sieve first,or multiples with different gauges.
Your fine one will clog fast even if the honey is thin enough to pass through.
Unless you're after a prize at the honey show don't fret too much,just avoid cappings getting in.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking

Must check out my kitchen sieve. That might do as well as the fine sieve!

You could use a kitchen sieve first,or multiples with different gauges.
Your fine one will clog fast even if the honey is thin enough to pass through.
Unless you're after a prize at the honey show don't fret too much,just avoid cappings getting in.
:iagree:
I sieve the honey from the extractor into a honey bucket via a large kitchen colander - that removes any pieces of wax, dead bees etc. I then pour the honey through a strainer. Double Strainer Stainless Steel

The result is honey containing fine brown specs of pollen and wax. That would never win a prize at a honey show but it's what the discerning customer prefers

The cheapo Double Strainer Nylon works well as a one-shot solution straight into the bucket - it's a bit coarser than the fine sieve of the stainless pair, so marginally better at passing the more liquid challenged honeys like OSR. They're not too expensive to get multiple ones either, so you can leave the inevitable full sieve straining away, whilst you move on to the next bucket with a fresh strainer set. I use the fine sieve of the stainless set with warmed honey prior to jarring.

Latest posts

Back