honey stirrer paddle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is used specifically for that purpose and is cleaned before each use, what is wrong with that?

I use two large plastic trays with raised edges for sitting the frames on as we cut off the cappings, but they are always cleaned first.

The issue would be are they food grade.

No, it's because certain people have no common sense that they have to be told.
In my view anybody posting on the forum that it's OK to use galvanised kit - whether it's for your own use or not has just proven him/herself to be an eejit who should not be listened too.
The reason legislation was brought in to stop people from using non food safe and galvanised kit in food production is because
IT'S NOT SAFE!​

JMB is correct. :)Honey tends to be acidic (3.6 to 6 ish) The acid may be enough to dissolve the Zinc coating . Not good to consume. Hence the ban on Galvanised products.

you'll be telling us next, that all of us that chewed on cot's painted with lead paint should be dead
Well it has certainly affected your braincell looking at all the cuckoo advice you dole out to beginners on this forum and another you frequent - maybe it's you that should carry a government health warning

Last edited:
Hi All,
I purchased one of these the other day. Very effective at stirring honey when fitted to a drill. Not sure if the plastic is officially food grade. The metal is galvanised.

Very reasonable compared to others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drill-paint-mixing-paddle-paint-stirrer-500-mm-length-/261980821768?

I would not use anything in my honey, for my consumption or for sale, that was not food grade stainless steel. (or food grade plastic for storage).

I actually met quite a nice trader at a market, that was selling white plastic food grade containers, very cheaply, compared to Big Ts etc, and when I asked the price, and I said, I'll have as many as you have, 20-50, he asked me if it was for honey (I must look like a beekeeper!), and he then told me, they would not be suitable. So I walked away....a shame, because they were cheap! I'm not sure how he knew, I would have thought if they were food grade, they would be okay for honey, if of type 1,2,4,5....

I have no idea, how you test for food grade white plastic, or what plastic is food grade....other than what is described as food grade?

anyone know, what type of plastic is food grade, PET, HDPE ? LDPE PP ? (I get food products in these, that go into my reycycle!)

I do not see a Type 1,2,3 or 4 marking on any of my white plastic buckets, so how do we know, we are not all being conned....other than taking somebodys word they are food grade?

Last edited:
Well it has certainly affected your braincell looking at all the cuckoo advice you dole out to beginners on this forum and another you frequent

Whoops! Is that on the beginners section, where nothing can be challenged? Blame for that lies somewhere else!

Is that on the beginners section, where nothing can be challenged?

Oh it can be challenged RAB - it's only the beginners we have to be nice to - the clowns who give bad or dangerous advice are fair game :D

Food grade plastic is marked with a standard knife &fork symbol.

Yes and also my lunch box here at work hence correcting myself

off to check my honey buckets......do yours have a Glass & Fork ?

I was given some big plastic buckets last year by a well meaning villager. They were complete with labels for treated seed :(
They are in use now as carrying containers for sawdust/shavings to burn in my smoker and to hold washing soda solution for washing tools/gloves/boots. Waste not want not. I suppose they might have been considered food safe for the original wheat seed content but not honey.
Hands up those who knew you can buy "food grade" concentrated hydrochloric acid!

Latest posts

Back