Honey stirrer for drill?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any good ideas as the where one might acquire a stainless steel stirrer to put in ones drill? I see the one in Thor""s but a little steep in price for something that might get used twice a year.
R

On this topic, would a stainless paint stirrer do, large one that they mix finish plaster with or would that add too much air? Price are around £10 which is easy to justify for once a year usage. Just a thought?

I have looked and looked as that was an idea but they all seem to be zinc/chrome plated?

Just make sure they are stainless steel.

A previous advert for an apparently suitable product was not and caused, err, shall we say, quite a stir!

Ordered:) It says stainless steel so should be right but I understand from previous posts and posts on the home brew sites that there was one not as described.
Ebay are very good if item not as described. They even pay postage back and it's only a tenner in total.

I use a Brawn HAND BLENDER METAL CHOPPING SHAFT. Take the white bit off the end and it fits in a drill.

Does the job in seconds without sucking in any air Ebay Link

I bought a stainless steel spaghetti ladle ( the sort with fingers rather than a bowl) - about £2. Avaialble from most supermarkets.

Hammered the ladle flat. Hammered and bent the end of the flat handle so that it would fit into a drill chuck ( Have to be carefull to get it centred). Made sure there were no sharp projections on the "blade". Used it for last two years for creaming my OSR. Works a treat and is long enough to reach to bottom of my T's plastic settling tank.

I've just found this at http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Potato-Deep-Pot-Masher/E611/ProductDetail.raction I guess it could be used manually or cut down for the drill.
e611.jpg

thought i'd resurrect this thread and ask if anyone had found or what you use to mix up your soft set honey. I'm quite interested in finding some kind of auger style drill attachment which will get no air in.

.... I'm quite interested in finding some kind of auger style drill attachment which will get no air in.

I'm going to blow £21 on a Thornes corkscrew - if my OSR site comes off. And then I'll see whether or not I need to buy a different drill ... :)

Corkscrew works fine for me I won our association honey show for best soft set

We've got ours from Thor##s £27, corkscrew type.
Works great on a battery drill.
Mix for 15 mins and leave to settle over night, as it does mix a few bubbles in...

I'm going to blow £21 on a Thornes corkscrew - if my OSR site comes off. And then I'll see whether or not I need to buy a different drill ... :)

after the thread I created in the 'honey' section, I performed some experiments. I tried a normal hand mixer originally as I was only creating a seed. It worked well, but inserted a lot of air.

I bought a corkscrew mixer from T's, which I think was money well spent.

As I did not want plaster or sawdust in honey, I purchased a basic brand new drill from B&Q. Within two buckets, 2/3s full, it was smoking after a couple of minutes. I ran it at full speed to try and cool it which threw sparks all over the kitchen and set the fire alarm off. it went back!

I then bought a drill for about £100. it was dual speed and had a 44nm torque. After a few buckets, it also started smoking. it went back.

I think the problem is these drills are air cooled, and under the pressure of nearly set honey, the drill is working hard and cannot cool itself sufficiently.

I have not yet purchased one, but I want to get a paddle mixer with a chuck so I can fit the corkscrew (most that I have seen do not have chucks!!). I think it needs a mechanical clutch rather than an electric one.

I have heard about a dewalt mixer that should do the job, but have not yet seen it. I don't want to spend much more than £150, but hope to get one that can mix cement\concrete. Paint requires little effort and honey is thicker than plaster.

I had been hoping that something like this => http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p24985
a drill specifically sold for mixing duty ... might do the job for £40.

The other option is to try and attach the Thorne stirrer to a Lidl/Aldi stirrer in place of its non-food-safe paddle.

After burning out my previous Bosch 220/240v drill I bought one of these 110v drills ...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-21-2-re-1100w-percussion-drill-110v/71086

Excellent value, immensely powerful and a very very controlllable variable speed control which allows you to use it at very slow speed. Metal gearbox, soft start and 1100 Watts power and an overload clutch. I've been using it with a paddle to mix tile cement, plaster and floor screed (which finished off my last drill) .. its performed faultlessly .. no overheating, no sparks. It needs a 11ov transformer (but I had one anyway) but they can be picked up second hand for around a tenner.

May well be what some of you are seeking ... can't understand why the drill is so cheap !

We use a bosch battery drill 18v , you do need 2 batteries £50 BQ..... spins at a nice slow speed.
I burnt a mains drill out , simply because they over heat.....

Latest posts

Back