Honey Room Construction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
Exciting times - a dedicated honey processing room is in the planning.

Walls are to be insulated timber frame construction over an insulated concrete slab, any suggestions what to use for internal wall/ceiling/floor finish?
A washable surface for sure, being a tad lazy thought I would throw the query to this forum for any advice/suggestions. Plaster skim over board with a washable paint seems a bit old school (not that there's anything wrong with old school thoughts/methods).
Initial thoughts are a resin floor finish with floor drain, plastic cladding boards fixed to ply for walls, ceiling - traditional plaster board with skim finish......

Anyone who's been through a recent development of this type with advice to share? Your input would be most welcome.

This is good...http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/info/farming/Parlour_Ceiling_Board

Essential floor drain and waterproof sockets /electrics essential... storage heaters on Eco 7 are the most economical way to heat the room.
Hot water supply and a very large industrial stainless sink!

Insulate the floor and walls and ceiling... whatever space you make.. you will need double.

And keep it on the ground floor if you do not intend to install a lift of some kind!!!

Chons da

I plasterboarded the walls and then painted in something washable.
6 x 3 sheets of plasterboard fitted in my car at the time so they were convenient for me.

The timber frame was strengthened in places so that I could fix the extractor to the walls by three chains and bottle screws so the electric extractor doesn't shake about.

Bee proof is a necessity. However wasps seem to get in more readily - esp as the window warped after a few years to leave a little gap just big enough ....

I tried a WBC cone escape in the wall above the window in the hope that any stray bees leave. They tend to congregate at the window and are not clever enough to jump the 2" needed to leave by the cone exit!

You can get those Ceiling Boards sheets from most window fitting out let's, very simple stuff to work with.

Exciting times - a dedicated honey processing room is in the planning.

Walls are to be insulated timber frame construction over an insulated concrete slab, any suggestions what to use for internal wall/ceiling/floor finish?
A washable surface for sure, being a tad lazy thought I would throw the query to this forum for any advice/suggestions. Plaster skim over board with a washable paint seems a bit old school (not that there's anything wrong with old school thoughts/methods).
Initial thoughts are a resin floor finish with floor drain, plastic cladding boards fixed to ply for walls, ceiling - traditional plaster board with skim finish......

Anyone who's been through a recent development of this type with advice to share? Your input would be most welcome.

Some thoughts - An insulated polished cement floor with appropriate finish should work well. Walls - You might regret plastic cladding, the cheap stuff does go brittle over time. If you are DIY then Have a look at using fairly thin OSB faced with formica/melamine (or even a shower grade lino). If budget allows I would use tiles. Ceiling - depends on your preferences, again OSB comes to mind with whatever colour paint/finish you fancy.

Latest posts

Back