Honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed another supplier, a larger bee farmer from Carmarthenshire (who comically told the shop owner his bees flew over the estuary to gather nectar on Gower and marshes)
Yes, well he'll buy in from anyone and sell it on as his own.
As for Gower honey, did you know they have a Gower Honey Cooperative? I used to be a member (the boundary of the lordship of Gower is the river below Brynmair) I know they had a few outlets in Swansea market and a few other places they supplied.

Yes, well he'll buy in from anyone and sell it on as his own.
As for Gower honey, did you know they have a Gower Honey Cooperative? I used to be a member (the boundary of the lordship of Gower is the river below Brynmair) I know they had a few outlets in Swansea market and a few other places they supplied.
Yes so I heard. That's the only reason he can supply all year long.

You are not fully agreeing with the supply and demand bit? Sure some of the Gower beeks must be selling somewhere but I don't know where or perhaps they have enough for friends and family? I drive pass several houses where I know bees are kept, some with 10 hives but they don't even sell at the gate. I have noticed another supplier, a larger bee farmer from Carmarthenshire (who comically told the shop owner his bees flew over the estuary to gather nectar on Gower and marshes) but that's it. Gower honey seems to be like gold dust and everything with Gower branding is preyed upon by tourists which is why I charge what I charge.

I sell at the gate and have flooded shops this year because as you rightly say I have more honey. I opted for this instead of markets to keep my weekends free and by the time I add the cost of a stall to the equation, the margin is pretty minimal. If beekeeping was my main income I would certainly review my approach. Yes the shops mostly sell to tourists and that is another reason why I want to get it out of the door before mid-September. This also allows shops to add whatever profit margin they want.I also don't have a warming cabinet so don't want to wait until the honey crystalises.

Yes the community growing cooperative is great, especially that one. A good friend of mine who is involved with it suggested it to me. The collection point is next to a new bakery and I can put a table on Friday mornings if I want for a couple of hours or Thursday evening.
I had the impression you felt £6 for a 227g jar was a bit much. I wasn't very clear was I. The point was you are in a broadly similar situation and have the 'power' to influence both jar size and price for your honey. Selling at the gate was the main reason for my price of £5 because it does not require change to be given - in the end I didn't sell at the gate at all and I have to say it's much simpler to just sell to a shop or two. :)

I had the impression you felt £6 for a 227g jar was a bit much. I wasn't very clear was I. The point was you are in a broadly similar situation and have the 'power' to influence both jar size and price for your honey. Selling at the gate was the main reason for my price of £5 because it does not require change to be given - in the end I didn't sell at the gate at all and I have to say it's much simpler to just sell to a shop or two. :)
Same here. The local farm shop (200m from the apiary) takes each year whatever I have and it’s gone way before Christmas.

So to anyone under-selling their honey, I beg of you to reconsider. Get what you truly deserve for your skills, efforts and investment. And if people want cheap honey, point them in the direction of Asda smart price syrup.

....the whole essay....brilliantly well said. ;)

According to my bees it is ..they are demanding a minim price of £10/lb

A quick google for British honey for sale comes up with lots of sellers around the £12 per lb + postage. One at £10.50
Your bees are welcome to come and sell my honey.

According to my bees it is ..they are demanding a minim price of £10/lb

A quick google for British honey for sale comes up with lots of sellers around the £12 per lb + postage. One at £10.50
The canny northerners in these parts won’t part with that kind of money. They’d sooner buy caramelised rice syrup . C

The canny northerners in these parts won’t part with that kind of money. They’d sooner buy caramelised rice syrup . C

Well they say there is no one tighter than a Yorkshireman unless they are Scottish. But see attached,,,, others sellers and brands available

I have no idea who is buying their product but they say “shy bairnes get nowt”. In other words unless you try sell at £10 lb you will never know if people in your area will pay it.

All we do know is that everyone selling at less than that are selling out of product in dquick time

Attachments

• 6BE46EFD-C4AD-476D-AC2A-BD673D643B88.png
    6BE46EFD-C4AD-476D-AC2A-BD673D643B88.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 91BCE66E-381E-4C7E-92C8-D55E7B1B4528.png
    91BCE66E-381E-4C7E-92C8-D55E7B1B4528.png
    658.5 KB · Views: 37

Well they say there is no one tighter than a Yorkshireman unless they are Scottish. But see attached,,,, others sellers and brands available

I have no idea who is buying their product but they say “shy bairnes get nowt”. In other words unless you try sell at £10 lb you will never know if people in your area will pay it.

All we do know from posts above is that everyone selling at less than that are selling out of product in doujble quick time

Attachments

• F5543FE7-391A-4D8F-A053-80E2C3362169.png
    F5543FE7-391A-4D8F-A053-80E2C3362169.png
    658.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 215DE447-1E9E-41A5-A939-4A93EC9B2C14.png
    215DE447-1E9E-41A5-A939-4A93EC9B2C14.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Well all you good folk wanting to sell Honey at £10+/lb I’ve a suggestion for you. I’m more than happy to sell you my hard earned crop at £5/lb in the bucket, sounds fair enough to me………….50:50 and all you’ve gotta do is put it in a jar & then open the door every so often to take the money. I’ve a fair bit so should be able to cater for all your needs.
Will keep on top of my PM’s to ensure I don’t run out of space:)(y)

Latest posts

Back