Honey on Toast ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it's a joke name, but pretty descriptive - structured on the cynghaneddol alliteration of the two words - literally transalted it means ping bakery as 'ping oven' would be 'ffwrn ping'
The proper Welsh name is meicrodon Micro from the Greek mikros meaning small and Don from the soft mutation of the Welsh Ton meaning a wave/undulation
Well I can see why Welsh speakers prefer Popty Ping ....

I can see why English speakers certainly would
colleagues (well certain uneducated simpletons) would have a go at me stating 'Ha! you don't even have a word for telephone!'
You mean a welsh word to substitute a word made up of the Greek words tele (far) and Phone (voice) ?

colleagues (well certain uneducated simpletons) would have a go at me stating 'Ha! you don't even have a word for telephone!'
You mean a welsh word to substitute a word made up of the Greek words tele (far) and Phone (voice) ?
Well I suppose there was no real use for it until the land line was extended beyond Offa's Dyke....

None taken :)
Modern 'Welsh' words are often silly transliterations of the modern English word, neither existed when Offa was a boy.

Well 'telephone' is a lot better than the miscegenous 'television' - a messy mixture of the Greek 'tele' and the Latin 'visio' from 'videre' : to see.

It should properly be 'proculvision' , (the word 'telescope' already having been taken) but I suspect it may be a little late to make the change

Traditionally a Marmite man.

However, this year I got some honey. I never liked honey before I got bees and have never bought a jar in my life.

But now I love home made honey. I like to put a different honey on each slice of toast to compare the different flavors.

If people used the word haint (which doesn't precicely mean virus (as viruses are a pretty new discovery) or haint y goron which is the closest shot at coronavirus you'll get all sorts of blank looks. Language has to evolve and it does that by adapting imported words in some circumstances.
The Welsh language is one of the oldest languages next to latin around here, it's evolution was hindered a lot for centuries so catchup is always going to be difficult.
At least some of us try and make the best of it although I do baulk at some of the more outlandish manufactured words offered when I'm vetting translations.

It's a bit daft really considering they've no idea what the rest of the sentence means. I'd rather your Welsh derived version myself.
Much better than four wheelio drivio tractor.
Would you use haint for plague? If so haint y goron is spot on.

I love crumpets - put through the toaster twice to get a crisp edge -buttered with either honey or marmite... mmmmmmm
I go the Orient Express route, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.

Last edited:
Proper tea leaves brood for a long time fresh milk /cream straight from the cow. (when I'm on the farm) we have a lim cow which we milk daily.
1 tea spoon of any honey.
Toast.. Uncut bread grilled as it doesn't generally go in the toaster, with loads of decent butter Cut into soldiers and then different honeys put in small bowls ready to dip the soldiers.
Remanding honey is then used as bakers honey in a loaf or bara Brif usually made when I'm out at work ready for the evening supper.

Ps I also like to dip my soldiers in my cup of tea after being buttered.

I would rather sell cut comb as it gets in my teeth to much.
The wife's mum eats it with her dentures in, not really a good idea.
Do you make your own butter?

And of course, I forgot....
Sardines!!
My weekly dose of oily fish, not the bog standard supermarket tinned sardines though (although they are acceptable) I've found a company in Covent Garden that stock a variety (changes from month to month) of French or portugese tinned sardines available mail order. various forms (some in olive oil, escabeche, with lemon, chilli etc. and of course, the old favourite tomato both bog standard or spicy) get the toast on, then whilst you butter it, 40 seconds in the popty ping for the fish, then mashed up with a bit of white pepper and maybe a dash of vinegar. a lunch fit for a king!
Do you make your own butter?

Toast, Lurpak and runny honey. On my last runny honey jar, but I have got an old naturally crystallised jar of honey which smells nice so that is next!

Latest posts

Back