Honey on the NHS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cream products from "Medihoney" have been quite widely used for some time in the NHS as a wound dressing, and notably for the treatment of bedsores.
The honey is sterilised with gamma rays during the manufacturing process, I believe. (Don't try that at home!)

Cream products from "Medihoney" have been quite widely used for some time in the NHS as a wound dressing, and notably for the treatment of bedsores.
The honey is sterilised with gamma rays during the manufacturing process, I believe. (Don't try that at home!)

I didn't know that bees had the use of gamma rays when they make the honey, that's amazing.

I didn't know that bees had the use of gamma rays when they make the honey, that's amazing.

For those with difficulties ...

The honey is sterilised with gamma rays during the cream manufacturing process, I believe. (Don't try that at home!)

I hope that helps.

Doesn't sterilizing it mean its natural healing properties are destroyed?

One must first ask what are the healing properties of honey

Osmotic effects (due to the full loading with sugars) actually suck the water out of wound-infection bacteria.
Its slightly acidic.
And thirdly, there might be also some Hydrogen Peroxide (like a mild bleach) if its fresh (it breaks down naturally with time).
So it really does prevent infection in wounds, which allows the body's own healing to proceed as fast as possible.

... and then there are the specific plant-derived odds and ends (which is where Manuka comes into the discussion).

/// None of the above ought to be impacted by gamma irradiation.

Back