Honey Mousse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
An initial trial run with an Abelo creamer has left me with a bucket of Honey Mousse - any suggestions on how to remove the air that has been incorporated into the Honey?

The 30lb bucket (drained off from the creamer) is approx 2/3rds full of which I think is half ‘n’ half - mousse on liquid/set/setting honey.........

Am of the mind to stick into the warming cabinet and then put through a 200 micron strainer which might leave the mousse in the strainer.........

Must say though quite tasty, almost like an Italian meringue, could be the next ‘Raw’ :sifone:

Attachments

• 22AA0122-78DA-4768-B8A5-22F7808E532C.jpeg
    22AA0122-78DA-4768-B8A5-22F7808E532C.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 62
An initial trial run with an Abelo creamer has left me with a bucket of Honey Mousse - any suggestions on how to remove the air that has been incorporated into the Honey?

The 30lb bucket (drained off from the creamer) is approx 2/3rds full of which I think is half ‘n’ half - mousse on liquid/set/setting honey.........

Am of the mind to stick into the warming cabinet and then put through a 200 micron strainer which might leave the mousse in the strainer.........

Must say though quite tasty, almost like an Italian meringue, could be the next ‘Raw’ :sifone:

Apidae sell honey mousse
I once bought a jar to take to our honey swap at the Welsh Convention.
It doesn't keep for long...maybe a couple of months be warned

Looks amazing.

I havent had that issue with the Abelo creamer?

Did you use a seed?

Did you use the heat settings? Which temp?

How long did you cream for?

What speed setting did you use?

Apidae sell honey mousse
I once bought a jar to take to our honey swap at the Welsh Convention.
It doesn't keep for long...maybe a couple of months be warned

That was the very unappealing white stuff that produced a grimace from every taster, IIRC. :D
Now that Ivy was a different thing altogether.

Looks amazing Tastes delicious however marketed as Honey to Honey consumer's wouldn't be good .

Did you use the heat settings? Which temp?

How long did you cream for?

What speed setting did you use?

You could possibly make some yourself by not using heat settings, allowing it to get really thick while unit continues to run. Then leave for a little longer, switch back on to loosen in an attempt to dispense into jars...…….at this point if trying to create a set Honey you'll know you have an issue as it will go a lovely shade of white - if making mousse proceed, all is going to plan!
Switch on heater with the idea being to warm slightly to allow bubbles to rise to the top - at this point you can drain off a few jars to give you what I call 'Guinness Honey', lovely smooth head on it!
Then drain off the contents of the creamer and hey presto - Honey Mousse:winner1st:

I'm thinking a Honey Baked Alaska - Honey comb ice cream surrounded by Honey mousse, what a winner:)

On a more serious note to my last post on this subject...…...what temperatures do people run their creamers at?

When combining my last mix, Honey came out of the warming cabinet, filtered into the tank, a seed was introduced. Display on the unit was reading 22degrees from memory and that was how I left it - no warmer switched on.
I'm just preparing to load again for attempt No.2 & was planning to switch on warmer and run at default setting of 30 degrees.

That was the very unappealing white stuff that produced a grimace from every taster, IIRC. :D
Now that Ivy was a different thing altogether.

Yes.
It doesn’t keep
When I opened the lid it half exploded.
Strange thing about the ivy. It was much better than any of us thought it would be.

On a more serious note to my last post on this subject...…...what temperatures do people run their creamers at?

When combining my last mix, Honey came out of the warming cabinet, filtered into the tank, a seed was introduced. Display on the unit was reading 22degrees from memory and that was how I left it - no warmer switched on.
I'm just preparing to load again for attempt No.2 & was planning to switch on warmer and run at default setting of 30 degrees.

I never use the heat setting whilst creaming. I'm not sure its needed. They sell the creamer without the heat setting so it must work.

I sometime use the heat at 30c when jarring just to get it flow nicely but dont ever go above that but most of the time its warm enough to just let it flow out anyway.

Yes the friction created by all those crystals being mixed together makes temp inside around 22C without any heating. If there was one addition I'd like to see made to the creamers is the addition of a peltier type cooling system.

I usually run mine for 3-4 days until all is white. Adding three buckets of filtered clear runny honey and 1/2 a bucket of seed honey...about 50Kg's a run.

Just a quick up-date on the Honey Mousse - it’s still intact & has stored well :rolleyes:
As for my plan on warming & then putting through a filter to remove Mousse it didn’t work, the warmth just allowed/dragged/pushed the Mousse through into the tank below :hairpull:
Plan ‘B’ is now in operation.......allow to set and then scrape solidified air Mousse from the top of the solidified Honey to get it back to a more typical substance.
The second batch is going to plan :party:

Just a quick up-date on the Honey Mousse - it’s still intact & has stored well :rolleyes:
As for my plan on warming & then putting through a filter to remove Mousse it didn’t work, the warmth just allowed/dragged/pushed the Mousse through into the tank below :hairpull:
Plan ‘B’ is now in operation.......allow to set and then scrape solidified air Mousse from the top of the solidified Honey to get it back to a more typical substance.
The second batch is going to plan :party:

Good to have a Plan B, the first batch I made (not in a creamer) turned out like yours, I blended too fast, the batch a friend did for me in his creamer was spot on.

Latest posts

Back