Honey extraction!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, lovely honey, yummy.

Nice pics for the family album. Congratulations!

well done - isn't it lovely?

It's beautiful! Can't believe how much comes out!

I thought I'd share my magical moment with everyone!

9 frames 30lb!

I think you're just showing off:rolleyes:

OR it could be I'm just jealous as I've not taken my first cut yet - despite 4 colonies :eek:

But seriously - thanks for the photos, and well done :hurray::hurray:

excellent, well done your bees and you for harvesting it!

Well done.

Is that a roast dinner I can see in the background?
:drool5:

Got three in the back of the car like that waiting for me to finish my work today...

Took 2 supers off at weekend, 2 frames of which were thin foundation and 2 were starter strips so cut them up, looks fabulous.

Messy job but by the 4th had it sorted - tray underneath, knife in hot water, one horizontal cut, then vertical to fit into cases, job done.

My first honey, and tastes divine, well all the drips and overflow I managed to slurp up :D, bit of a sugar rush lol.

Not sure I like eating it on the comb though - bit chewy, although nicer on toast as wax is less to the fore.

I did sacrifice some of it to crush to extract honey for one jar, left to filter overnight, will bottle my first jar tonight :)

Not sure I like eating it on the comb though - bit chewy,

I agree, when I'm chewing I think I'm eating a candle!
I'm going to start putting it in jars tonight, that's Xmas and bday presents sorted for everyone!

knife in hot water, one horizontal cut, then vertical to fit into cases,

Did you wipe any droplets of water of the knife before you cut the comb?

If not the water can raise the mc of the honey. But then as it is your first honey I doubt it will be around long enough to cause a problem.

I like cut comb honey from the fridge as the wax is cold and crunchy.

Did you wipe any droplets of water of the knife before you cut the comb?

If not the water can raise the mc of the honey. But then as it is your first honey I doubt it will be around long enough to cause a problem.

I like cut comb honey from the fridge as the wax is cold and crunchy.

ah, good point, will remember that, cheers.

You're right - it's not hanging about, what hasn't gone to friends and family already is being eaten at a rate of knots :D:drool5:

I was wondering about crunchy as I had some on beginners course and it was crunchier than mine, will try that not worthy

I know some people actually like it, but as far as I know there are no health benefits from eating beeswax?

There is a notion that cut comb or chunk honey is better for you, but I think that is because that honey is not filtered, and so was a guaranteed way of getting some pollen in your honey - as opposed to the ultra filterered and heat-treated shop alternatives?

That is my assumption, I wondered if anyone knows different - ie there are health benefits from eating wax?!

I had a very similar scene in my kitchen this morning (without the roast dinner). I think I will have about 25lbs. Lovely isn't it.

Is beeswax digestible? Does it have any nutritional value?
Something for me to google when I get home!

I know some people actually like it, but as far as I know there are no health benefits from eating beeswax?

Well I hope people have stopped eating but a Doctor at our apiary who is very keen on nutrition and peoples diet said it is a very good natural laxative :eek:

Wish I had an in-law to make me a roast dinner!!
Very well done you are so lucky. Honey and a roast dinner - could life get any better..

Back