Honey extraction process: Request for advice.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeconfused

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This week I have extracted honey from three full Supers on my British National hive.
While the Supers were off the hive for extraction I put an empty Super on the hive in their place to give the bees some space.
Today I have put the three extracted Supers back on the hive for the bees to clean up and I plan to remove them in a few days time ready to store for the winter.
My question is: How can I achieve this? The hive is rammed full of bees so if I remove the Supers they will all have to cram into the brood box.
Can anyone advise me on how I handle this situation please?

This has been an issue for me in prior years and I’ve not reduced their space as much as I could/should. Having said that the bees have overwintered well despite my failures. The key I think, is to ensure the hives are well insulated at the top. This year I will be more bold in reducing the space.
Good luck Beeconfused👍

Tardis syndrome, you'll be surprised how well they manage it. ;)
:iagree: Don't be too concerned with making sure they have space at this time of year. They will manage to fit in better than you think they will and you will want to be sure they don't have too much space to heat going into and during winter.

While the Supers were off the hive for extraction I put an empty Super on the hive in their place to give the bees some space.
Today I have put the three extracted Supers back on the hive for the bees to clean up and I plan to remove them in a few days time ready to store for the winter.

Is the colony on double or single brood?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Your advice is very helpful.
It is a single brood box and I would prefer to keep it that way so after a couple of days I now plan to remove the three supers and leave the bees to sort themselves out in the brood box.

This is my first full season of keeping bees.

I had similar concerns with 2 of my hives. One had 4 supers the other 2.

I run brood + 1/2 and was worried there would not be enough space for all the bees after removing the supers.

But to my surprise they have managed to squeeze back down ok. There are a lot of bees in the boxes but they do fit.

Back