honey estimate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi again,

About to extract 3 supers of honey - 10 frames per super. Never extracted before and very excited - the colonies are on double brood and the top boxes are also crammed with stores. How many Jars of honey or/and weight do you think I will obtain this year? Would be good info to have if needing to buy jars soon?

If all frames are full something like 20/30lb per super

get a wholesaler for jars much much better prices ,well done on your honey crop njoi.

thanks for the replies, how many jars would you estimate I need to buy? Them supers are very heavy!

3 full supers - 25lbs each.

so assume need 1 box of 72x1lb jars.

check out local association for jars at good price (probably have spare stock after awful season).

Have you seen Rawl**gs new honey jars very decorative with honey comb patterns on the top and bottom, my customers prefer then

well done!! my first year, got my bees in june no honey but had a lot of pleasure from my bees,have lent my spinner to another newbee who thinks she may have a couple of pounds of honey this is a wonderfull hobby but what do i do from october to march?

Honey estimate

It sounds like you are using a WBC hive (10 frames per. super). Given the weather this year, I doubt they are all full frames, so I would guess 15 - 20 lb per. super. Therv may be some unsealed honey too, but tis year the bees have been uncapping and eating, so moisture content may be OK. I's abit late to be extracting though. You should have tken it all by now. Have you place Apiguard or equivalent yet?? You really need to trewat for varroa soon, or it will be too late for that also. You should also be feeding them by now, but difficult with Apiguard on.

Process the cappings, clean QE and make some new floors ready to swap next spring, read some books and read the replies of bored beekeepers, can be very funny, and don't forget to make loads of supers as I ran short this year despite loads of advice, learn the hard way that's me lol

Back