Honey Buckets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Each season I find my honey buckets and settling tank have developed a black mold on the inside. How can this be prevented?

I store stacked one inside the other with lids left loose on top in a warm dry loft. Cover the stack with a clean shet of plastic/cotton etc..

No dust dirt or damp..

But I wash them all again before using.

End of season warm water wash with trace of w/up liquid to remove all honey traces.

Honey bucket

Only started this year and don't know if right or not but stuck mine in the dishwasher having removed the top tray so as it fitted in.

A little Milton cleaning fluid may also help if you have any other issues.

Tried all of the above ensuring the buckets are dry along with the use of Milton cleaning fluid but nothing seems to work as still end up with mold after 3 - 4 months. Now thinking new bucks each season is the way to go.

Curious, perhaps the air where you store them is damper and stiller than you think ?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that perhaps organic matter has somehow penetrated the plastic or more likely, microscopic abrasions are on the plastic from use and cleaning and hence can result in minute residues of organic matter remaining within the scratches (and then a dampish environment as per Murox above).

I've seen black mould on (in) bathroom silicone, and it doesn't matter how hard you scrub it, it seems to be embedded within it.

If I get any honey this year, I've got a used stainless steel settling tank to try out.

Last edited:
andy-glide - Make sure the mould smell does not taint your honey as plastic has a tendency to absorb smells!

All my buckets cost me 20 p from the local bakers. They originally contained jam or custard or mayonnaise and are never tainted by smell.

Some people have a more acute sense of smell and taste.

I've seen black mould on (in) bathroom silicone, and it doesn't matter how hard you scrub it, it seems to be embedded within it.

Run a line of thick bleach over your mouldy silicone and leave it overnight or a day or two.....it'll clear even embedded mould

I rinse mine out with boiling water from the tap..i then bang them upside down to get rid of any water droplets ...the heat from the boiling water on the plastic evaporates any left over moisture..a quick rub around with a piece of kitchen towel and then they are put upside down stacked without lids in a black bag..the lids get the same..

Mould forms on any honey left on the buckets, they need loads of rinsing to get rid of any last vestiges of honey or a thin film is left when the washing water evaporates off.

Mould forms on any honey left on the buckets, they need loads of rinsing to get rid of any last vestiges of honey or a thin film is left when the washing water evaporates off.

:iagree: get out on the lawn with a hose - give them a thorough high pressure blasting with cold water then leave upside down until they are dry

This must be the silicone that advertises itself as mould resistant!

Latest posts

Back