Honey Bound Nuc "Advice wanted!"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHiveNovice

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
So I recently my first split, two weeks ago. Three frames of brood and three frames of foundation plus introduced a mated queen.

Checked after 7 days and the queen was still stuck in the cage but had been accepted as soon as she ran out all the bees around her were calm.

Left another 7 days before inspecting again and all frames are just full of stores/nector/honey/syrup leaving the queen no place to lay.

Tonight I've remover two frames full of syrup and replaced with two frames of foundation. I would have changed three but only had two spare available.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Have I done the right thing?

Should I do anything different?

Yes, sounds OK. I wouldn't have replaced three anyway. Drawn frames would be better but only if you have them.

Yes, sounds OK. I wouldn't have replaced three anyway. Drawn frames would be better but only if you have them.
Ah thanks @Erichalfbee I'd have loved to have had already drawn frames but had to go with foundation.

Out of interest, why wouldn't you advise changing three frames. It's a six frame nuc from BS Honey. Essentially I'm still left now with four full frames of syrup/nector/honey/stores and only two frames of new foundation.

I'd let them start drawing those two first but I've had a re think. If you put three frames of brood in and every seam is full of bees I'd put them in a full sized hive

I'd let them start drawing those two first but I've had a re think. If you put three frames of brood in and every seam is full of bees I'd put them in a full sized hive
Hey @Erichalfbee, there lies the problem. Its only half full of bees, maybe a little over. I'm guessing due to the mated queen taking taking so long to be released they just filled the brood frames with stores??

All six frames have been drawn and completely filled with stores literally no room for the queen to lay at all.

Latest posts

Back