Honey bees in decline

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honey bee decline? So does anyone actually have good data in UK honey bee colony numbers over the last decade? Surely NBU, BFA & BBKA make estimates?
You will only get data commissioned if there is a need. At present it suits our governing organisations to continue to propagate that honey bees are in decline.
I use the car splatter test for number of insects in my area, not at all scientific but there is a very noticeable decline in the number splattered onto the front and windscreen of my vehicle over the past years.
S
Just remembered that there is some info in the DEFRA review of pollinators. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEEQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.step-project.net%2Ffiles%2FDOWNLOAD2%2Fpb13981-bees-pollinators-review.pdf&ei=Y5QeVN_qN6yV7AaQ0YCQDw&usg=AFQjCNHDosxF6_HvFs1HE1K4EGAcaCuJxQ&bvm=bv.75775273,d.ZWU

Last edited:
I constantly read about honey bees being in decline, huge colony losses etc much of it from apparently reliable sources, latest one to fall in my lap is from INRA, (Institut national de la recherche agronomique), who are Internationally recognised for their independence and high standards of expertise.

Now I know I'm different from many in that I don't use any treatments, don't make any inspections, allow my bees to swarm and try to catch most of them. This leads to a situation where I always have too many bee colonies and have to find homes for a substantial number every year.

Any losses that I have are all what I would consider to be natural and Queen related.

What I would like to know is if bees are really in such a sorry state what is different about mine bearing in mind I live in the middle of intensively cultivated land that is constantly being sprayed? (No, I don't like the sprays in fact I detest them).

This is a serious question.

Chris

I also dont treat my bees and due to health problems this year the inspections have not been as regular as many would say are needed.
All my hives have swarmed..Some got caught and some flew off into the wild blue yonder and may also have be caught by another local beek.

Swarming equates to an increase.....not decline...
Thanks to two forum members and a friend of theirs my hives at home have been inspected and honey removed, which made more room for further honey and I have a had a fair crop this year with still more in the hives. Two other hives have had no honey removed at all.
I have more hives than I started the year with and as there has been so many swarms everywhere, people have been getting free bees without filthy lucre have to change hands.
I have one hive at home which doesnt appear to be as active as it should be.
Sadly I feel the only thing to do is leave them alone. I have a nuc which I could unite with the hive but then I might lose them both, so I wont unite.
If they survive I will be pleased, but if not.........

My tuppence worth in first year nearly completed , the suburban environment replete with mature gardens, local parks etc is a haven for bees, so much better than the now prevalent sterile monoculture countryside ( appreciate not all ) .

So honeybee decline is guaranteed , throw into the mix pesticides . Though heh don't tell my bees , with the good weather and abundant forage ... It's Partytime !!! :)

The flaw in your argument is that I live and my bees are situated slap in the middle of intensive agriculture with very few villages never mind urban environments in a radius of 50 km. French villages are species poor anyway, the French aren't into gardens in the same way the Brits are.

We have also had widespread use of Neonics since the early 90's and the fields are sprayed all the time with one product or another with a short break in July.

Even with all this and an appalling reduction of natural habitat my bees continue to do well and multiply even if yields per hive are falling in France.

(Unbelievably I saw someone selling local honey the other day not so very far from me at €5.50 a kilo - that's £1.96 a lb)

Chris

Back