Honey bees and children?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamt35

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Im new to the forum. But I know alot of people in the area that try to attract honey bees to their gardens/farms. what are peoples opinions if you have children in the vincity? Is it wise? even with educating your children on the dangers etc?

let them know what will happen if they go meddling with it

getting stung

Ohh and also the dangers to the bees from the children

Attracting bees to a garden is hardly dangerous, bees of any type rarely sting when foraging, in fact I can't really understand why anyone would give it a thought - although increasingly they do.

I don't think I was ever stung by a bee until I kept them.

Chris

I am referring to the OP other post as they have found out they have a bumble nest in the garden.

I have two children, twelve and fourteen, they're quite sensible (their dad isn't!).

They're generally interested, they go and watch the hives occasionally. I haven't persuaded them into a bee suit yet. But give it time.

They've seen their dad get stung, but they haven't been stung yet, and neither have their friends.

I would say that if you have children up to about eightish then you should have your hives fenced off.

I now have hives on a farm, that also runs a children's nursery (diversification!) :eek: . The farmer is dead keen on bees and also keen to show the children. The hives are fenced off in a wood and the children can safely observe from a distance.

My opinion is I'd much rather have children know and see more about bees/flowers/pollination/honey rather than not do it because of the fear of being stung.

Bobster

thanks for the replys. Yes was mainly asking for a friend whom id been talking to about my bumble problem :) She is interested in honey bees, and i dont know alot, she doesnt seem worried about the children, and judging by the wise knowledge on here then im sure she is correct :)

Im new to the forum. But I know alot of people in the area that try to attract honey bees to their gardens/farms. what are peoples opinions if you have children in the vincity? Is it wise? even with educating your children on the dangers etc?

I have two hives at the end of our garden (100ft), we started off with one but did a recent split. My daughter is 9 and started off doing the bees with me, she has her own suit and knows the different casts of bees and all about inspections. She did her recent Brownie Hobby badge on Beekeeping.

My son of 7 is nearly as keen but was stung once so is abit more cautious now.

Both know to keep well away from the hives when playing ;)

My son is 5. We've had the bees for a couple of years. They are in a field just at the back of the garden. We have a kind of barrier of shrubs between us and them but they come in fine to forage. He likes to watch them and wants a suit so he can come and help out. He has been stung so is aware not to go poking them or trying to catch them, but enjoys watching them. Great education for him I think.

I have a 3 and 5 year old... the eldest is learning so much about the bees as well as how to behave around and respect them. She has her own suit and nags endlessly when she knows we might be doing an inspection. It's becoming routine for her to sit and watch the comings and goings and spot the different colours of pollen.
No stings yet... I'm sure they'll come but the learning opportunity is priceless in my view. Everything in life has risk... even the 'do nothing' option but there's emense opportunity to learn in this hobby.

On the topic of children and bees - for those with children who help inspect the bees what do they use for gloves? I've ordered my son a bee suit finally (as he has been asking for about a year but I've been too stingy:) ) but I'm not sure what he can wear on his hands

My children are keen to come to the bees when I go. I do not have any hives in the garden as the garden is for them to play in. Also I chose to keep bees, my neighbours didn't so the hives are not in the garden.
My children have been stung, eldest to the youngest, they have suits and also wear gloves, the smallest marigolds that I could buy.

They know the "dangers" well the consquences of upsetting a bee.

Some years ago we had three hives 40' from the back door.

Children were 4 to 8 at first and grew up with bees there (a very matter of fact thing)

Their friends came to birthday parties, barbecues etc

Guides camped not far away as did Scouts and Cubs

Milking went on 50' feet

Washing hung out, brush cutting, lawn mowing - no problems

Everybody left them alone, they left everybody alone.

One sting - for some mysterious reason one decided to sting the wife in the left buttock while she was carrying milk from the dairy - made her spill some. :cool:

I have a 3 and 5 year old... the eldest is learning so much about the bees as well as how to behave around and respect them.
<snip>
It's becoming routine for her to sit and watch the comings and goings and spot the different colours of pollen.
<snip>

Mine are 2 and 4 but I'm not convinced the 4 year old knows what pollen is yet. We had the following conversation at Easter:
Me: "Look at that one with orange legs. That's pollen"
4 year old: "Why have you named them all Daddy?"

There's a far greater risk of being stung by a wasp. They are more attracted to human food and drink than bees are, and just love garden parties and barbecues. When did a bee last try to share your pint?

Mine are 2 and 4 but I'm not convinced the 4 year old knows what pollen is yet. We had the following conversation at Easter:
Me: "Look at that one with orange legs. That's pollen"
4 year old: "Why have you named them all Daddy?"

:rofl: not worthy

Re gloves for children... I've found childrens gardening gloves in the garden centre.

At the Netherlands Floriade exhibition the planting was all bee friendly and there were huge numbers of bees. Even in every eating or seating place, as a beekeeper you were so aware. (And of the splendid dragonflies). Yet I think non beekeepers probably didn't notice. From about 4 pm (I assume after a day at school) huge numbers of coachloads of children arrived on school outings to the show. Perhaps we have been brain washed by 'elf and safety'? I daresay they had planned things really well and that is what we need to take away. If the hives are too close to a garden play area/ walkway and not forced to fly up the story could be different. In the area where some of the hives were based and the visitors could go round and scan either pollen or nectar, there was a sort of caged section so the whole exhibit (which included a small garden, walkways and a two story building like a giant hive) had a sort of net /small chain link rectangular tent around it. However, the visitors happily walked inside that as well as the acres/hectares of the whole exhibition. They probably had a reason for doing it that way - perhaps in case there was an unusual situation in which case they might be able to contain it. As we walked in, this netting formed an opening through two curtains that overlapped at the top. I wonder whether a bee proof barrier in some gardens could be useful? Most responsible beekeepers would then consider their neighbours as much as their own family. Trouble is we all know that when you highlight the fact you have bees every single bee, wasp or flying insect in the neighbourhood is seen as your responsibility.

Latest posts

Back