Honey! and why can't i rotate my pictures?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meidel

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
:party:today we managed to extract about 15 litres of honey - this is the very first honey from new beeks in north london

picture.php

Congrats I remember the excitement of my very very first lot. :)

PH

Litres?

You must have some of that new-fangled metric honey :)

well done! 15ltr is a good crop for a first year. now try and keep some of it 'til the next harvest

Mmm I can almost taste it from here.

Well done BEES.

Thank you everyone - we've been soo lucky with the weather, the tough bees we've got, the hard-working girls and the good drones which go out looking day in and day out, and lately out whether they want to or not... and wow the bees are still busy today! So maybe we may have another harvest ourselves just before the varroa treatment?

And yep, I'm a tad better at beekeeping than computers obviously as still can't get that rotation - cheers so much broandy

the buckets the honey's in at the moment are in litres, so until we bottle them we won't know their weight in lbs

And although one of the supers was from my main colony, the other from the newbeek from Capital Bees, all 4 of us from the apiary helped out with the spinning, scraping and cleaning up. My OH has been a tremendous trooper supplying all the catering equipment - food grade buckets, sieves, etc... (although I donated 2 pairs of tights to strain the wax cappings:D ) and hosing everything down in cold water outside.

It's just enough honey and not too much for now ... will it last to the next harvest? depends how soon that is! We're still in the middle of a flow here.

10 litres = 28 lbs ... roughly.

Lovely honey...well done to you and your bees! Exciting!!

Love the stool - handmade?

cheers, the stool? home assembled from a certain scandinavian furniture success ;)

Never mind rotating the picture, the important bit is knowing how to rotate the extractor lol

and wow the bees are still busy today! So maybe we may have another harvest ourselves just before the varroa treatment?

where abouts in London are you?

We are lucky in that we are near a park where they dont touch the himalayan balsam, and there is loads of it, so our bees have a late season feast and we must have got about 20lb worth of HB honey from 2 hives last August/Sept.

When your bees forage on it they come back with white thorax and sometimes heads.. little ghost bees.. so you know when they are on it, and although the HB is out right now, I havent seen any evidence ours are on it yet.

If you have got some within range, Im sure you will have another extraction in mid september before you treat for varroa :)

:party:today we managed to extract about 15 litres of honey - this is the very first honey from new beeks in north london

picture.php

Lucky so and so.

I am in NW London and so far This season I recon I could extract about a jar of the stuff.

Finchley Honey is how i should name my honey - my OH says railway banks honey is more suitable, that said, links honey? brook honey? suburb honey? allotment honey?

Yeap there have been sightings of ghost bees :D - it's a fight with the allotment manager who likes to cull the HB on the allotment edge for fear they take over the vegetables.

A few of us are starting to sow some buckwheat, these grow fairly quickly - in 3 weeks I'm told - so we're hoping to add to the variety of available forage for the bees.

Lucky so and so.

I am in NW London and so far This season I recon I could extract about a jar of the stuff.

My trick was in combining 2 huge just-swarmed colonies - they were broodless for a long long time!*

The other chap has carniolans (which also swarmed and was broodless for a bit too) The carnies are an industrious lot!

*edited to add this: I say broodless - I mean they didn't have larvae at unite but masses of capped worker brood to see them through the season and I'd culled the QCs as was thinking of buying a less swarmy strain of queen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back