Honey £16 per lb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, new to the forum, I would like to say that Sconner Wood honey is very good, having the very modest 6 hives situated in woodland, south facing, very sheltered and away from sprayed fields ... the prices quoted are not prices from Sconner Wood direct, this was a quantity aquired from us and tried to make a 'quick buck' on! Thats called capitalism!
Good luck to them!
We do not advocate these prices, but what they charge is out of our hands, equally how they word their advertising is also out of our hands!
We are NOT world famous and do not claim to be, somebody else does, we can't help that! The internet is permanent, some users do not understand this and that is when difficulties arise and the comments made on this site are just one example, originally manifesting on ebay of all places!
Inspections of our hives have been and continue to be welcomed by our local bee inspector and any organised trip to see our hives would also be welcomed, if there is that much interest in Sconner Wood honey!
As for the labels, we use the Cornish Bee Keepers Assoc labels, which I am sure are legal!?
I would like to thank all of the positive response to the pricing, Cornish Honey, as we all know is a premium, although I would like to reiterate that we do not sell it at that price, but if anybody else does, then GOOD LUCK to you. We certainly wish you the very best of British!
The River Lynher is in Cornwall, we are not far from it, but not on the banks!
On reading the intro to this forum, I see that some members are known to be, shall we say, kurt or abrasive ... well thats up to them, I like to think that if I haven't got anything nice to say, then I don't say anything at all.
Worrying about what other people are up to is normally out of jealousy, a very powerful emotion for those with alot of time on their hands.
Being members of other forums in various guises, we understand the format very well, so as new members having only a few years experience in keeping bees and by a quirk of unfortunate fate which brought us here in the first place, we hope we'll be able to join in the bee keeping community and ask/give advice as needed.
Sconner Wood Honey, not world famous, no website, no pretence, 6 hives all doing very well, down here in the sunny Cornwall ... PS I am not called Mark Penney!
Kindest of Regards to ALL ... Jan

...On reading the intro to this forum, I see that some members are known to be, shall we say, kurt or abrasive ...
... as new members having only a few years experience in keeping bees and by a quirk of unfortunate fate which brought us here in the first place, we hope we'll be able to join in the bee keeping community and ask/give advice as needed.
Sconner Wood Honey, not world famous, no website, no pretence, 6 hives all doing very well, down here in the sunny Cornwall ... PS I am not called Mark Penney!
Kindest of Regards to ALL ... Jan

Welcome!

There's a lot of good advice here.
Just a word to the wise though - two things that get up the noses of the locals are bad advice (really bad) being offered as the one true way, and business advertising (which I'm sure you aren't doing, beyond introducing yourself!) There seem to be quite a few members on here from your end of the country, so ... now you are here, join right in!

Last edited:
welcome to the forum, Jan. It's a great place for info, and most of it bee-related!!

The NEW Tamar Valley Honey Co-operative is having its very first members meeting at the Drakewalls (ANOB)Center Gunnislake Cornwall on 3rd November.
Hope to see you there? you could row your boat to it !!

Admin... The Tamar Valley Honey Co-op is a not for profit initiative set up under Tamar Grow Local a Community Interest Group (CIC) to initiate local community projects including community allotments, orchards, egg, pig and cheese producing, wood timber and fuel within the Tamar Valley and to assist in funding and finding markets for the products..............
So not BLATANT advertising !!

All the shops and garden centers around Cornwall seem to be awash with Cornwall Honey, particularly now all the tourists have gone back up-country!.

£16 for one pound ???? THE CHEAPEST I have seen Cornwall Honey was £2 for a 12 oz jar

As for the labels, we use the Cornish Bee Keepers Assoc labels, which I am sure are legal!?[/I]

It is YOUR responsibility to check with TRADING STANDARDS that the labels you use conform, and that the contents are as stated on your label, as to origin and weight.

IF you think the labels that you are using are not legal I would strongly suggest that you contact Cornwall Trading Standards and request a copy of General Guidance notes on the Labelling of Honey produced by the Business Support TEAM
0845 122 7000

( WAS ON LINE TOO)

A majority of " Local Honey" producers labels I looked at did not conform to Trading Standards regulations when we were initiating our own bespoke and professionally designed Tamar Valley Honey Co-op labels

LABELLING ..... THAT'S HOW IT IS SPELLED ON THE INFO SHEET!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi all, great responses, look forward to the meeting at Drakewalls and to introduce myself in person, we are also involved in other sustainable products which we use for ourselves, much like the honey, mead (is this legal?) sticky pudding (is this regulated?). Any left over is literally sold down at our gate to locals who would laugh me into oblivion at £16 per pound ... as I'm sure the tourists would, but we don't get no tourists round these parts.
I've just read through all of the threads and laughed out loud at the rules and regs being
spouted, true or otherwise! The items were removed from ebay when we found out about the aggravation being caused by the busy body few, not because it was reported ... who on earth reports LABELS to ebay???!! haha just laughable ... Labelling may well be MY responsibility, now I know, I'll ensure anyhting I sell COMMERCIALLY is labelled correctly, as for old Mrs Cole in the village, she bain't that concerned, she's glad for some to spread on her toast, I trade it for fairy cakes (is that allowed by 'the man'?). I must check she labels her old buscuit tin correctly.
Bring the tax man, the label man, the ebay man, the army, prime minister, trading standards and whoever you want ... I'll give you an egg to rub into your own face, laid by our world famous green egg laying ardvarks (the eggs normall retail at £16 a dozen).
Advertising was not our first thoughts here and I thank you for that kind word, to the contrary in fact! We would like our name disassociated with a MISTAKE made by somebody whom we had no control whatsoever over and carry on in our quiet corner of Cornwall.
To those who will no doubt respond with venom defending their own form of bullying, the internet is an easy way to spout bile ... however, there are human beings with feelings at the other end of your words.
I cannot state more clearly that we did not have anyhting to do with the listing on ebay, good luck to that person, we wish them no malice, but it was nothing to do with us! When replying to this thread, please do not refer to any of the content of the ebay listing to us, pricing, labelling, dates, flowers etc ... its had ABSOULUTLEY nothing to do with us!
Any good advice is readily accepted and if we can advise, then we will be only to pleased to! To those who were disgusted by the contents of these threads, don't be! Join in the forum all the more, these people are in the minority of an otherwise great country, full of people going about the daily lives doing thier own thing ... MINDING THERE OWN!
We have terrorists, famine, murder, war, drought and plenty of other bad things going on in the world, I'm sure the label fanatics can excuse this poor lady trying to flog honey on ebay with the wrong labelling etc and at the same time recognise that we are not a part of it and let us get on with getting on ...
We consider this to be bullying to the lady concerned with the ebay listing and bordering on bullying to ourselves.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum Carefulbee............:cheers2:

I always have a Tin Hat and a packet of salt at the ready.
As for the jar labeling it is quite an important thing to get right as the many self appointed experts that infest this and other forums and every nook and cranny of life will be more than happy to tell you!

(or should that bee self opinionated?)

cheers
hope to see you on 3rd November at Drakewalls

Hiya Ocanhopit! Thanks for the support and advice, I'll make myself known to you at Drakewalls, looking forward to the evening of like minded characters!

Hello and welcome with answers like that you will fit in rather well not worthy

dear oh dear, I think you are being a bit too defensive here, if you read the thread you know it follows 3 basic paths;

1. The price of the honey - I dont think anyone here begrudges anyone charging £16/lb for honey. The OP found it surprising, but its a 'good' surprise.

2. Commercial/trading profits and the tax man - I think we established by the end that actually the tax man is not interested in 'hobbyists', if you only have 6 hives I do not think you would be deemed commercial/trading. However, if this honey is part of a portfolio of produce sold, he could well be. That is between you and the tax man.

3. Legal labelling - no grey areas here, there are simple regulations and your labels did not adhere to those regulations. Ignorance of the law is no defence, so instead of coming on here bandying about words like "busy body", "jealous" and "laughable", you would have been better served to thank the forum (or whoever else pointed it out to you) for the enlightenment.

The fact remains though, your honey is not labelled legally, whether you are bovvered by that or not is up to you, but even if you choose not to act upon this revelation, others reading the thread will understand the law a little better so THEY can make an informed decision for THEIR labels.

Thats what is good about this forum, the debates often throw up useful and/or interesting information so we can all learn something.

Welcome by the way :)

Oh, and there is a world of difference between knowing the LAW on labelling (because some of us checked the regulations before making our own), and being a (self) appointed expert in beekeeping.

Beekeeping is rife with opinions, which is good. The law is not about opinion but FACTS.

Everyone who sells their own honey should know the laws surrounding selling honey, and those who do are hardly "self appointed experts" "infesting" this forum.

Astonishing comment!

LMSO.......
Everyone who sells their own honey should know the laws surrounding selling honey, and those who do are hardly "self appointed experts" "infesting" this forum.

Astonishing comment!

Cor Blimey Mand F .. did I hit a raw nerve..............

Constructive Criticism !

Rock 'n Roll................ there was a time I infested the A406 wiv me mates!

M and F They are NOT my labels and I do NOT sell honey commercially!!!!!!
The law, regulations etc on labels is fair enough, we understand that, and if we ever get to the dizzy heights of selling COMMERCIALLY, then we will abide by these regulations! I think it is you who has completely missed the point, the point is that we want to disassociate ourselves from the 'ebay debarcle' by way of an explanation, we didn't have to, we could have just laughed it off in sweet anonymity ... I chose not too due to the threatening comment of 'perhaps we should arrange a visit to Sconner Wood'.
We do not argue with the facts of the law, nor do we dispute regulations, however, the fact remains as you say, that WE DID NOT LABEL ANY HONEY THAT WAS BEING SOLD ON EBAY ... move on.
Unfortunatley, there seems to be two types of people in the world, and both of them are on this forum.
I did read the thread, thoroughly, which is why I replied in the manner that I did, very DEFENSIVELY!!
Another world famous half dozen green ardvark eggs sold? Less than 5 posts and I'm an outcast, is this a record???!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back