Home made incubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
A few years back I made an incubator, I have only used it once so far, it works well. For heat I have 2 light bulbs, controlled by an STC-1000 thermostat, I wondered if the on /off cycling of the bulbs, or the brightness would affect or stress the new queens? If so does anyone know of a good alternative to bulbs? Tube heater? Thanks.

A few years back I made an incubator, I have only used it once so far, it works well. For heat I have 2 light bulbs, controlled by an STC-1000 thermostat, I wondered if the on /off cycling of the bulbs, or the brightness would affect or stress the new queens? If so does anyone know of a good alternative to bulbs? Tube heater? Thanks.
I use heat pads, but mine is portable and 12v, I also use a PID controller with SSR, instead of the STC-1000.

I did try a reptile heat pad before, but the output was really low, maybe just the one I bought.
This is a large incubator, that will take cells mounted in frames.
Any recommendations on 240v heat pads?

Mine is STC100 plus bulbs.
I shade the cages with a small sheet of aluminium
Never an issue

I did try a reptile heat pad before, but the output was really low, maybe just the one I bought.
This is a large incubator, that will take cells mounted in frames.
Any recommendations on 240v heat pads?
RS Components, and stick it to a metal plate, but it depends how much you want to spend.

Thanks for the replies, as Madasafish uses shaded bulbs I might do that, a sheet of copper would do it.
The RS mats look good, maybe that is one for incubator v2.

Look up PTC heater plates on eBay. Although they are self regulating in temperature, I’d recommend buying two and wiring them in parallel to the thermostat incase one fails and for a more reactive temperature increase. Go for slightly over your target temperature when selecting the plate and then the thermostat can do the accurate cut off. You mustn’t go under (unlikely given your using it as a incubator as they generally start at 60oC) or they will never heat up enough even with two.

Last edited:
I use infra-red bulbs, probably cheaper than heat mats and last longer than incandescent bulbs. I do try to shield the light, but have to say heat mats sound like a better plan. Bees react to sudden lights-on I've noticed when open hives!

Lots of goods suggestions, not sure which way to go yet, the heater plates look nice and compact. I need to find out more about them.

Latest posts

Back