hoffman frames...?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
this was my first real summer with the bees and i used the self spacing hoffman frames with wireless fondation for some cut comb honey,could i use the same frames next year with wired fondation and extarct the honey from them,will they fit in an extractor alright?
Darren

yea sn4's,at my local meeting there were showing how to extract honety but they were using just straight sided frames that werent self spacing,they were able to slide to knife up the frame to uncap it,can i still do this with the sn4's?
Darren

yes,

you trade of the need to remove spacers when puting the frames in the extract0rs ( wides or narrow) against being just a bit harder to cut the cappings off (Hoffman)...but not that different

now the debate on whether to use hoffmans, Wides, narrows or Manleys could last all winter...weight of honey to frame/ ease of extraction/ poor comb

i use 8 frames on wides and some hives as 12 hoffmans but manleys don't fit in my extractor

why a few hoffman, i like to get a few show frames

Last edited:
I use hot air gun on the cappings which does the job with no problem. The hot air gun i use was bought from bq £17.Andy

SN4s fit fine in an extractor. Well they fit in our extractor, and it is nothing special. The extended edges look a pain when slicing with the knife, but they really aren't. The nice thing about hoffmans is that you can pack them in 12 to a super when it is undrawn foundation, then revert to castellations when they are drawn. You could achieve the same with spacers, but they are the devil's work.

cut comb with hoffman spacers will be a bit thin. If you use an 8oz cutter ( designed to cut 8oz of comb from a ten frame spaced super ) each cut comb will be light - assuming the frames were drawn out evenly

cut comb with hoffman spacers will be a bit thin. If you use an 8oz cutter ( designed to cut 8oz of comb from a ten frame spaced super ) each cut comb will be light - assuming the frames were drawn out evenly

Maybe,but cut comb on ten spacing,the same as ten Manleys, the comb thickness is right up to the lid of the 8oz cut comb containers supplied for the job,any thicker then you would need to leave the lid off or cut one side of the comb off.

I can't shout loud enough about hot air guns. Used one for the first time this year after thirty years of a hot knife and wow what a difference. So easy, no mess, no waste, honey runs out easier as it is slightly warmed. Clean etc etc etc
E

I agree totally with Enrico et al. 1st time honey (yipee!!) - 22lbs from one super using wide spacers (8 frames). The comb was very uneven, and my old heat gun melted the cappings no problem. Heartily recommended. Uncapping knife redundant.

Thing is enrico you are missing a serious point. One that we discussed already.

PH

OK, thanks.
Searching, I learn that you are in favour of uncapping by cutting into the comb. The dual rationale being the commercial value from the wax cut off (particularly the value-add as wax-based products) plus your belief that giving the wax-worker-bees a job to do (rebuilding the front of the cells) keeps the hive humming along nicely, rather than have them building Queen Cells.

I (and maybe any other recent drifters) now know where you are coming from!

At the risk of getting off-topic, wouldn't there be less messy ways of keeping the waxy bees employed (if that really be needed), and of harvesting wax? (Innocent newb question, seeking enlightenment!)
Hot air gun decapping does sound as though it very neatly sidesteps a traditionally messy process.

The idea of using starter strips, rather than wired foundation, in (at least some) frames would seem like a more purposeful means of driving wax production, both for bee employment and wax harvesting.
However, I'd thought that to drive honey production, minimising wax production, was 'a good thing'.
As always, I suppose that the skill (beekeeping and commercially) is in striking the right balance!

I suppose that the skill (beekeeping and commercially) is in striking the right balance!

:iagree:

Some of us suffer from the beekeepering equivalent of middle ear disease!!!

Latest posts

Back