Hobbies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always fancied a crack at cheese making. Is it relatively straight forward?

Always fancied a crack at cheese making. Is it relatively straight forward?
Yes I make my own. You need a few bits and pieces but easy to use stuff that's in the kitchen by and large.
I get unpasteurised milk from my neighbour

Obviously, I love my bees dearly, but I also, like many people grow veg. I also like gentle pursuits such as knitting, crochet and sewing. I'm going to try my luck with watercolour painting soon, but the thing that takes up by far the majority of my spare time is killing other players in a virtual warzone in PUBG (pronounced pub gee) mobile!

This short video will give you an idea of what it's all about :LOL:

I knit and crochet but not particularly good at either 😂

Yes I make my own. You need a few bits and pieces but easy to use stuff that's in the kitchen by and large.
I get unpasteurised milk from my neighbour
Id love to be able to make my own cheese

Apart from the obvious, I run a wormery and get the most gorgeous compost for growing seeds in, which in turn helps plant up my veg beds.

I like preserving and am adapting all my favourite recipes to reduce the amount of sugar and use honey instead. My favourites so far have got to be Honey and Lemon Curd and Clementine, Whiskey and Honey Marmalade. I have a lot of fruit bushes dotted all over and always get mammoth crops of blackberries and raspberries.

I am also a bit obsessed with making yoghurt. I have a lovely heirloom culture which can be used indefinitely that makes superb Greek style Yoghurt with honey (it can be strained so thick, I use it instead of whipped double cream, particularly when it is fresh made and has a milder yoghurt flavour) or a French set style which is superb with Vanilla. (I was lucky enough to tutor a gentleman from Madagascar through his Maths exams a few years ago and when he passed, he gave me the most enormous bundle of Vanilla pods that he grew on his family farm. They look nothing like the dried up things we get and he did explain they keep the best for themselves. Even after a few years, they are still juicier than I can get in the shops).

I also like hill walking which is just as well with an energetic Boxer dog and living in the Peaks.
I make kefir using grains, amazing stuff, make it for the whole family, so good for the gut

Common link to the above; I like to produce food for the table. It's the hunter / gatherer instinct in me.
Very much the same here. If it moves and breaths, I know how to catch it/dispatch it, dress it and cook it! I was spit roasting my own caught rabbits aged fourteen. I was a 'naughty poacher' until well into my thirties, whereupon I finally got permission to hunt the land I had been covering for years! Hunting always supplemented my income.
Meeting my wonderful partner fifteen years ago led me to voluntarily changing my ways. The wildlife is safe now, though I still find myself 'ranging' rabbits in a field or a pigeon in a tree! :rolleyes:
I was an awful shot-gunner, but good with rifle and pistol.

- Falconry: I don’t have my own bird, but I help a couple of local chaps out when I get chance.
Expensive business in both time and money. A bit like beekeeping! I never had the opportunity, but used to meet someone on the Downs when I was ferreting (yes....bred ferrets too!) who 'waited on' with his Redtail hawk. She caught the rabbits that slipped the nets. Incredibly fast!

I shoot (shotgun) mostly clays and pre covid I was a DJ used to DJ in the local nightclub started off in 1996 in various pubs in my area. Not now!!

I thought the opposite, far more fishermen here compared to work colleagues. If wild trout/grayling fishing was as accessible as my apiaries I know what I would do more of.

Fishing in the Orkneys sounds great - I've been reading David Street's 'Fishing in Wild Places' this winter, he describes fishing in the Orkneys (possibly Shetlands, can't remember) amongst other locations and it's all very tempting. There are a few small put and take trout fisheries near me but I much prefer wild trout fishing to stocked waters.
Tasmania probably has the best wild brown trout lake fishery in the world.

I am a victorian engineer in modern day clothes.... My main hobby is keeping my 1926 Aveling and Porter E Type Steam Roller in fine fettle and on the road!!View attachment 24329
Now that's a real hobby ... as a kid in Yorkshire (1950's) I lived by a canal and the local boatyard (Waddingtons in Swinton) was at the end of the street. It was in the days when wooden canal barges were still being repaired but those that were past the stage where they could be were dragged onto the slipway by a couple of Aveling traction engines to be dismantled and burnt. The steam engines were eventually left in the local scrapyard to rust away and I used to play on them and think how wonderful it would be to own one and drive it ... the steam rollers were still in used until well into the 1960's ... you are very fortunate to have such a wonderful big boys toy !

Surprised to see so few fishermen. If you like wild trout fishing try Orkney. A bit of a trek but it's my annual trip for the last 10 years with a group of guys I was at school with so been fishing with the 50 years plus!! Not big fish but free-rising and really can fight compared to the reared rainbows in put and take fisheries.

Cruel = torture

Cruel = torture
Yep.
I never could understand catching fish to throw back. To eat, yes.
As a child of polish parents we ate everything that my father caught. When he had caught what we needed he packed up snd came home.
My dad used to keep live bait in a bucket, coloured maggots in the fridge and my mother once came home from work to find a live pike in the bath.

Latest posts

Back