Hobbies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan is addicted to watching Mortimer-Whitehouse Gone Fishing. I actually think they are quite entertaining but I’ve seen them throw some big fish back. Seems a shame.
watching fishing, they say, is more tedious than fishing

however, one of my apiaries is at a private and quiet fishing lake and after an inspection, i have a cup of tea and watch any fishermen there.....

i think i could sit there for the afternoon just watching the lake rather than the fishing

Is it like a jersey, but from Guernsey? :D I have no idea. I don't think I've ever heard the word before either.

James
Its a jumper knitted for fishermen each family had their own pattern and they were usually knitted in navy blue or so I believe

Is it like a jersey, but from Guernsey? :D I have no idea. I don't think I've ever heard the word before either.

James
Fairly common name on the Yorkshire coast for a fishermans jumper much like a Guernsey ... Whitby fishermen's wives were famous for their knitting skills and their Gansey patterns. Traditionally made in blue wool.

My mum, who was a great knitter in her day, knitted me one when I started sailing.... unfortunately, it was big enough for me and most of my crew to huddle in and when it got wet it was so heavy I could barely stand up ! Never had the heart to tell her that I finally gave it away to a giant of a bloke who bought some sailing kit off me...

Fairly common name on the Yorkshire coast for a fishermans jumper much like a Guernsey ... Whitby fishermen's wives were famous for their knitting skills and their Gansey patterns. Traditionally made in blue wool.

My mum, who was a great knitter in her day, knitted me one when I started sailing.... unfortunately, it was big enough for me and most of my crew to huddle in and when it got wet it was so heavy I could barely stand up ! Never had the heart to tell her that I finally gave it away to a giant of a bloke who bought some sailing kit off me...
Similar jumpers were knitted up here on the east coast of scotland, my great grandfathers family were all “ fisher folk” im sure i have a photo of him in his 😁

Gansey is also an old name for a jumper in the Potteries which is almost bang in the middle of England?? They called shoes trashers, sparrows spadgers and when you had a cold you took "bay chum spiders!"

Yes definitely gardening. It sort of goes with beekeeping. And reading and looking after the dog cats and chickens and teaching 3 days a week and looking after house. Gosh I'm impressed with myself lol.

Latest posts

Back