Hiving a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'am picking up a nuc on Friday, all in place to move them into my full hive,but a while since I've hived a nuc, should I leave them shut in for 24 hrs or just leave a reduced entrance. Thanks.

No need to shut them up place your nuc in position and pull the plug, you may want to give them 30 min to settle down and then simply transfer over.

Ordinarily no need to spray them with anything. A smoker or a misting water bottle on standby perhaps.

No need to shut them up place your nuc in position and pull the plug, you may want to give them 30 min to settle down and then simply transfer over.
The nuc will need to be placed quite close to where you aim to transfer the frames otherwise any fliers that take off during the transfer bees will not easily find their home. Just a tiny thought from a stupid old fxxx.

Bees are stressed if shut in, so the entrance should be opened as soon as the bees are placed on the hive stand where they will live. They will re-orientate to the new location. You can move them into a full-sized hive that day or leave them for a day or two if the weather is poor. When you're ready, move the nuc to one side. Place the hive on the hive stand and a gentle smoke of the nuc as it's opened should be all you need. Keep the frames in the order that they come out as you move them into the bigger box.

Back