Hive Nails. Which type would you recommend?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Preparing to build my first hive (National) and would like some advice on nail types.

Thorne provide Sheradised Panel Pins 1" and 1.5".
Maisemore provide 1" and 1.5" lost head nails. 1.5" and 2" headed nails.
National Bee Supplies provide Sheradised Panel Pins 1.5".

:rolleyes:

Are there pro's - con's or just personal preference. Do i need various types for the hive woodwork, not including frames?

I know galvanised nails appear to be used on the metal roof-panel for Nationals.

I use the ones from T*orne. The nails are the lost head type and I failed to find any others at a reasonable price.
The sale is also on now and if you spend over £100 you get free postage, if you buy a second quality hive you will also get the nails for free.

Never built any beehives but if I did I would use stainless steel nails or screws.
The reason being the nails are near the end grain on the joints and when steel rusts
It expands and will open the grain and allow water into the timber.
It may take some time for this to happen, I would also seal the end grain exposed to the weather (not the entire hive)

If you screw then you can unscrew to carry out repairs...

R2

I think waterproof glue is the first thing to use

Then stainless, either screws or nails.

After 2 years out in the open my big T hive nails (the thicker ones) have all started to rust.

:eek::rolleyes:After weighted consideration ! I went with the steel lost head 1.5". Always time for a first, trying out Gorilla glue!:) Assuming its not made from gorilla ........ !

Not been around for a while, been busy on the beer hobby, getting stock up before summer.
I use lost head galvanised, or air nails, with polyurethane glue. Gorilla glue is good, but you pay for the name in my opinion
For good prices.
Have a look here

S

Last edited:
Obviously I am not the only person to get a hive for christmas.

After asking a similar question I now intend to screw / glue all joints. Feel this may be over the top but only time will tell.

Very pleased with the quality of my Th** seconds NH hive. Was yours free of knots?

I use polly tops the nails that hold pvc weather boards to your house with the white plastic tops, remove the tops with a pliers they are brill for roof box joints and to hold your roof cover on, stainless steel too. always glue joints befoe nailing

Latest posts

Back