Hive aggressive after swarming - Poorly mated Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveG23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a hive that for the last 3 weeks, has turned in to complete monsters. Before that they were very easy to inspect.

Hive was on x 2 national brood chambers, QE & x 2 commercial supers, both have x 3 undrawn frames, the rest is capped.

3 weeks ago they swarmed, I went in to knock down QC's and a few virgins emerged during the inspection.

I have tried to have a look in on x 2 occasions since then. First time I could only lift the crown board before I was mobbed, 30 odd bees biting my ankles and the same on my gloves.

As yesterday was sunny day I went in with some welding gloves and used a sugar spray to try to keep them occupied. The top brood box has been backfilled with nectar, same for some of the lower BB. In the lower BB there was 1 frame with some eggs in, eggs were mostly still standing, about 20. 1 cell has x 2 eggs but at the bottom of the cell, which I have seen before with a new queen. But 1 cell has x 2 eggs on the side of the cell. 1 egg in a queen cup.

Does this sound like a queen who has not been mated well?

In peoples experience, when a hive turns pissy like this how long in the presence of a laying queen before they settle down again?

I have decided to leave them alone and see if they are trying to raise a new queen. I gave another super in case they want to move nectar up, also removed plastic QE which they seem intent to build wax and honey through

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back