History of bee suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
I've heard Sherriff revolutionised beekeeping when they introduced the full coverage "fencing veil" bee suit in the 1960s. Is this true or just their advertising? Most products are an evolution of earlier ideas, but I've also found sources saying no one used bee suits in the 1940s, just veils. So I was wondering whether there really was a step change in protective gear, whether it was really just one company behind it, and what impact it had on beekeeping.

Look at the heathland beekeeping filums on yootoob - they wore veils woven from horse hair
There are even illustrations from mediaeval times of beekeepers wearing veils and full beesuits
Sherriff may have the right to claim 'invention' of the fencing mask type veil, but that's about it I think.

On my site there is a 1930's video with people working hives with a veil and a couple of cuffs at their wrists. Look on Youtube for :

Swarm control and more in 1930's

Shenachie aka PolyHive
Lovely film - it's amazing how so little has changed .... Note the insulation above the hives- probably worsted felt and sackcloth .... and now - 90 years on - some beekeepers STILL have not grasped how much this helps the bees. Even in the WBC hive with the feeder on top - sacking around the feeder with some sort of filling and on top of the feeder.

Latest posts

Back