American Beekeepers - astonishingly calm bees or crazy keepers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started beekeeping and was given a cast swarm of very , very calm bees.
Stopped wearing gloves and my smoker went out before I used it last visit, so did not smoke them at all.
I could probably have inspected with out the suit as well but.....................................

A lot of US You Tube videos show hives which don't have a massive number of bees; that usually makes things easier. Look at many UK channels such as Black Mountain Honey or the undersubscribed, "Bee Dazzled Cymru" channel, and you see bees in the real quantities of a thriving colony.....you need protection.

Just started beekeeping and was given a cast swarm of very , very calm bees.
Stopped wearing gloves and my smoker went out before I used it last visit, so did not smoke them at all.
I could probably have inspected with out the suit as well but.....................................
Small colonies are usually ok. Just be careful as they grow.

The past few weeks has been interesting studying bee behaviour with trustworthy, gentle colonies becoming grumpy but then there are other colonies behaving like lambs.
Last visit I could have inspected the first five colonies in a T shirt and probably no veil as well as none of them left the combs. Another five to check and what a difference, not horrid but in the air. T shirt? No thanks. No veil? Not on your life!
Always light a smoker and make sure it stays alight with a few puffs now and again. When you need it is not the time to find it's gone out.
We can all be gentle and inspect without smoke but it slows you down. I don't find smoking bees as admitting defeat, in a full hive it helps move them out of the way so as not to get crushed, gentle puffs not great clouds.

I do have a couple of standalone veils for quick jobs, but I mainly use a suit.
During my previous period of beekeeping (I had a 20+yr gap and a change of location) I would regularly inspect in jeans T-shirt & veil. But that was long ago enough that varroa was just something to look out for!

My bees are perfectly calm.
But they do insists on Qs mating with local bees which are manic sociopaths. The end results usually end in tears - for the Qs of course

Hello, all!
I’m a new beekeeper in Texas and have avidly followed your threads over my morning coffee. I’ve grappled with this same question because my bees are so docile.

By way of exposition, I had a wild hive down by the creek. I didn’t notice it until I’d walked past it a week. Five feet away and I missed it, which says loads for my situational awareness. However, it’s because the native bees were so calm.

that hive disappeared last year, much to my chagrin because I’d invested loads in planting bee-friendly plants nearby for them.

so, I invested in a hive to take their place. I went through Mountain Sweet honey bees and started with some trepidation because it seemed quite dangerous. Don’t laugh. I’m a planner.

I went to pick up my bees and ran into a young person exiting with a box of gently fanning and chill bees. My heart surged with hope and excitement! I could do this.
The box brought out to me was terrifying. My bees sounded like they were having a rave. I wore my bees suit in the car home because it seemed easier to explain to any traffic police why I’d done it than running from a smal swarm should they break loose.

Exposition now delivered, my bees are so clam that I often huff at having to Gear up to attend them.

I’ve invaded their space loads of times to watch, check that the queen is laying and manage hive beetles, which took some doing but proved easier than Ianticipted.

I’m sure there are some Africanized hives and I’ve heard of those down further south. Every time I think of leaving off the bees suit, I remind myself that these are wild things and it’s best to treat them as such and not succumb to laziness.

I love your forum! You’ve been such a source of courage and. Inspiration to me. Here is my one little, sweet hive. I hope they grow and prosper.

all the best,

jackie

Attachments

• IMG_8954.MOV
    27.5 MB
  • 0AD9B010-0CD8-4D6E-88F9-9778B84A61C4.jpeg
    0AD9B010-0CD8-4D6E-88F9-9778B84A61C4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
Hello, all!
I’m a new beekeeper in Texas and have avidly followed your threads over my morning coffee. I’ve grappled with this same question because my bees are so docile.

By way of exposition, I had a wild hive down by the creek. I didn’t notice it until I’d walked past it a week. Five feet away and I missed it, which says loads for my situational awareness. However, it’s because the native bees were so calm.

that hive disappeared last year, much to my chagrin because I’d invested loads in planting bee-friendly plants nearby for them.

so, I invested in a hive to take their place. I went through Mountain Sweet honey bees and started with some trepidation because it seemed quite dangerous. Don’t laugh. I’m a planner.

I went to pick up my bees and ran into a young person exiting with a box of gently fanning and chill bees. My heart surged with hope and excitement! I could do this.
The box brought out to me was terrifying. My bees sounded like they were having a rave. I wore my bees suit in the car home because it seemed easier to explain to any traffic police why I’d done it than running from a smal swarm should they break loose.

Exposition now delivered, my bees are so clam that I often huff at having to Gear up to attend them.

I’ve invaded their space loads of times to watch, check that the queen is laying and manage hive beetles, which took some doing but proved easier than Ianticipted.

I’m sure there are some Africanized hives and I’ve heard of those down further south. Every time I think of leaving off the bees suit, I remind myself that these are wild things and it’s best to treat them as such and not succumb to laziness.

I love your forum! You’ve been such a source of courage and. Inspiration to me. Here is my one little, sweet hive. I hope they grow and prosper.

all the best,

jackie
Welcome to our little community
Lovely bees. Your queen’s very orange
I hope you enjoy them.

:oops:
Not even pants and socks?
A Greek beekeeper came to Solihull Association Apiary a few years ago. In mainland Greece managed 300 colonies. Stood by one hive for a few seconds 'no mama' yes it was queenless. Another hive opened and he quickly opened several several cells all with numerous varroa inside. Are we missing something?

The U of Guelph has a video on bee breeding where they explain how they breed specifically for calm bees. I love their videos, very informative and clear explanations.

I 've noticed with a number of the big players, they getbsuited and booted to do specific jobs in the apiary. Look at the video not the bee's to see what I mean

You also have to remember that a lot of these guys are in the southern states. You couldn't wear a beesuit down there for very long, I suspect, without heatstroke kicking in. But most of them seem to wear a veil as standard issue.

A lot of US You Tube videos show hives which don't have a massive number of bees; that usually makes things easier. Look at many UK channels such as Black Mountain Honey or the undersubscribed, "Bee Dazzled Cymru" channel, and you see bees in the real quantities of a thriving colony.....you need protection.
Yes I do wear the suit every visit. Am well aware of the tens of thousands flying at once.
I can be dumb but never that dumb!

Yes I do wear the suit every visit. Am well aware of the tens of thousands flying at once.
I can be dumb but never that dumb!

I should have said, "one needs protection"; my observation was meant to be general. :) This time last year, when my colonies were much smaller, I was extolling the calmness of bees in general. I am learning to take them a bit more seriously now the hives are really buzzing!!!

Last edited:
Could it be that they were just posing for the cameras and when the cameras weren't there they had proper protection?

Back