Hi from Spain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBee1954

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Are there any problems with making beehives from plywood?

Possibly less in Spain than over here with the climate over there. Unless you buy marine plywood (which has waterproof adhesive between the layers) it will rapidly delaminate if exposed to wet weather. If you use plywood you really need to treat the outside with some waterpoofing paint or timber preservative and pay a lot of attention to any exposed cut edges.

It's a heavy material compared to cedar or pine and pro-rata can be more expensive. You can't edge joint it so you need some support for the corner joints .

If you have a source of cheap or free plywood then it's an option - the bees won't mind plywood.

Hi my concern was the glue in the plywood beinging not good for the bees. Thanks very much for reply.

I make all my hives out of WBP exterior grade plywood. Just remember to seal the cut edges to stop weathering.
Any difference in weight between a plywood hive and a timber hive is marginal once it is full of frames, wax, bees and filled comb. :cheers2:

I make all my hives out of WBP exterior grade plywood. Just remember to seal the cut edges to stop weathering.
What do you use to seal the edges? And subsequently paint?

Latest posts

Back