Hi from Sheffield

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan3008

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys

:unionsmilie:

My names Daniel, and I'm from sheffield, and I havent had a drink... wait wrong forum :rofl:

anyway, I've just inherited my first hive, a Warre top bar hive, which I helped build 5 years ago. The reason I've got it, is the guy I built it for has decided not to keep bees any more, and so gave it to me. I wish I could say colony and all, but a swarm late last year, coupled with bad luck over winter, killed off the lot. Not sure if they froze or starved... There was honey near by, but they hadnt moved. Long story short, I've had it looked over professionally, and there are no signs of disease or anything, so having cleaned the whole thing out, I'm hoping to catch a swarm next year to install. I would do it this year, but I dont have anywhere to put the thing, need to clear a new patch where I'd been keeping rocks...

I know a Warre isnt the most beginner friendly hive, but I do have a few years experience helping my neighbor. I'm pretty confidant now, and dont usually ware gloves or vale to check the colony, unless the bees are in a bad mood. Although, I always have long sleeves on, and a hood to keep them out my hair... And I dont mind getting stung, hardly notice it any more :)

so thats me. I'll be on later (tomorrow) to keep chatting, but my 2 year old has just finally gone to sleep, so i am too
:cheers2:

Welcome, and good luck.

and I havent had a drink... wait wrong forum

... Not really, beekeeping can do that to you! :cheers2:

Welcome to the forum. Lucky you to live in Sheffield. A great city.

Someone will say this so it might as well be me. It is not a sensible thing to do to inspect without a veil if you value your eyes.
Accidents can and will happen.You can easily drop a frame and then you will be in serious trouble. There is no reason NOT to wear a veil.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back