Hi Everyone - new to this and after a few pointers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As above, I am looking to get into this beekeeping lark and wondered if anyone could give me a few pointers in my thirst for knowledge.

I have made enquiries about attending a 10 week beekeeping course and have started reading through threads on here. Can anyone suggest any books/websites/forum posts that would be suitable for someone with no knowledge but a desire to learn?

I am also finding , as with anything new, that you have to learn a whole new language - with all the abbreviations, acronyms and hobby speak! My head is starting to hurt already trying to take everything in - even something that I thought would be relatively straightforward - a hive - appears there are loads of different styles and designs and materials.

Then theres the bees - nucs? colonies? swarming?

Has everyone gone through this?

Thanks for reading

Hi, I totally understand where you are coming from. I only started in July, only my situation is different as we keep bees for my childrens school and I'm being taught throughout my first year, I'm very lucky. Saying that, I think I have probably learned the most from this forum, asking questions and reading about what everyone is doing. I know what you mean about it being more complex than you thought, before I did the intro day, I thought you just bunged them in a hive and took honey when you need it :)

I'd say first do the 10 weeks, keep visiting the forum and asking questions, join your local association and the best book I've read is Ted Hoopers ~ Guide to Bees and Honey, I think the title is. I'm sure there will be more advice from more experienced members, but I think this is pretty much how it goes.

I hope you get your bees. I love ours now, I was terrified at first....long story :) Now they give me so much pleasure, I wouldn't be without them. See you around the forum.

Hi Zeus. Welcome.

There are quite a few threads on beginners books. Various favourites but by consensus Ted Hooper is the most comprehensive beginners guide, if a tad dry in parts. I found Bees in the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion a very readable entry book.

Would recommend doing the course pre bees if possible, and try to get first hand experience of handling them - some get put off at that stage, before investing too heavily in the required equipment.

Finally look for a local assocation - if you change your location to somewhere more specific than the North East I'm sure someone will let you know what is available in your area

Welcome

I am also fairly new. is your 10 week course at a local BKA - they are possibly the key to most things - for example, knowing where to get bees from to suit the area, knowing what hives are used in your location and what equipment you may be able to conveniently share - such as extraction equipment which is used less frequently. having a local mentor is also a HUGE benefit as when you start learning you think of even more questions. this forum is also a good source, of course.
I found the DVD by Paul Metcalf very helpful - it goes through the steps from first opening after winter to honey extraction. there are some great books as well and I have several which complement each other - for example Gerald Baker's Bees and Beekeeping explained has teh basics and is a good first introduction and reference to plants that bees might be foraging in different months - then there is Ted Hooper book on garden plants and bees if you want to get deeper into that. my first book waas a yellow covered book with mainly handdrawn illustrations rather than colour photos - but it was still very good and then I started to choose books to plug some of the gaps. Gill Sentinella's DVD has some AMAZING images and youtube has videos showing almost any particular aspect you can imagine.

Preparing for bees by gaining knowledge, getting an area suitable and planting some useful forage mean you can get started before you get bees. There are few shortcuts to prices as far as the basic equipment is concerned though some of the suppliers who are keener on profit than the bees and the environment can be almost double the rock bottom quality prices. This forum has some good links. Buying a whole hive or even a starter pack is probably cheaper than trying to get the bits and pieces as you go along because even if you do get parts at reasonable prices the reduced admin and postage of a complete pack seems to allow suppliers and buyers to gain from economies of scale.

Hope you get as much enjoyment and support as I have found over the last year or so.

Tricia

I am still at the wide eyed stage - totally entranced. I love my bees and can't wait to have my first honey and to grow the number of hives.

Hi there and welcome.

You have started the best experience of your life. you'll get the hang of it in no time. don't worry. the first steps are always the roughest.
I suggest a book by David Cramp called A practical Manual of Bee Keeping. it is a very complete book and at the same time the guy has the british humor to go with it, so you'll enjoy it.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum. I am just starting my 3rd year - that is not long enough to forget just how confusing it all seems at first, but it is long enough to realise that the first year is by far the easiest!

That said. If I were starting now, with the knowledge I now have: I would make the most of that ten week course. I would read Ted Hooper, Clve de Bruyn and as many other books as I could lay my hands on. And I would above all join a local beekeeping group which has an apiary of its own - and I would spend my first season playing with the group's hives rather than my own. That way, there would have been help at hand when I made my worst mistakes.

Oh, and I would read this forum attentively - but be discriminating about which advice I accepted. There is a wealth of experience on here.

And above all, I would remember to enjoy it - because it really is a fascinating, rewarding and enjoyable hobby.

Good Luck!

Then theres the bees - nucs? colonies? swarming?

Has everyone gone through this?

In short??? YES!!!!!! :) Enjoy your course - duck occasionally when reading the forum (although the bulk is useful stuff, opinions and posts can become heated at times...which adds to the fun) - read as many books as you can get your hands on, that way you can form your own opinions...and enjoy your bees when you get them!!

"read as many books as you can get your hands on, that way you can form your own opinions"...

As another newbee I've been immersing myself in everything I can find to read over these winter months; the book that has lit the biggest fire in me is Beowulf Cooper "The Honeybees of the British Isles". Not perhaps the first book to read but please don't miss out on it.

Hi Zeus

Welcome and enjoy the experience !

Do try and get some courses under your belt, or through the local association, get a mentor (which is sometimes better, although you might learn his bad habits!)

Good books - Ron Brown's Beekeeping a seasonal guide is a really good starting point, Ted Hooper's Bees and Honey, and also Donald Sim's Sixty Years with Bees.

Oh, and the excellent reference material found here and elsewhere on the web.

Also try the Omlet site - a downloadable reference manual is there too

regards

Somerford

Welcome
I found the DVD by Paul Metcalf very helpful - it goes through the steps from first opening after winter to honey extraction.

Tricia

He's my Mentor!!
(and president of the Norfolk BKA)

Well - must say wasnt expecting that level of response! Thanks everyone - its greatly appreciated.

I have decided to do my 10 week course through North Pennine Bees - mainly due to geography. I have also found out that there is a local beekeepers association - Newcastle and District Beekeepers Association (NBKA). More abbreviations ! I will get in touch with them over the next couple of days.

Has anyone any experience of either of these?

Thanks for the tip Monsieur Abeille - have changed my location now.

Next stop is Amazon I think for a couple of the recommended books.

One follow up question - my course is due to finish in June this year so as far as buying kit and bees is concerned is this too late for this year or will i have to wait til next year?

Oh and another follow up question - how do I go about getting a mentor?

Thanks again

Z

My bees arrived in June last year and were fine - so I see no reason why it should be an issue, as long as you have the kit...and hopefully your association will know of someone willing to mentor you. You could also look on the mentorship offered/wanted section from the home page?

Ditto for Queens 59. Started with my bees in June too. You may be lucky. The tutor promised everyone who completed the practical part of the course a starter colony of bees, and was good to his word.

If not so lucky then I am sure your local BKA can recommend a good cheap supply

The earlier in the year you get them the better ideally. It gives them a chance to acclimatise to your area and a chance to build up stores for winter but don't be tempted into paying over the top just to get started, find a dealer or supplier others recommend and learn as much as you can this year.

If you need help or advice you will be offered several opinions here if you can't find what your looking for by using the search option.

Welcome and have fun !

Another newbie but a few thoughts rather than advice.

I'd stick with this forum and the helpful people in it who have answered all the questions I have raised on topic and off.

Hooper is the best book that I have read.

I would also recommend jioning your local association and picking everyones brain there.

This will be my first season with the bees and I am looking forward to the challenge it will bring. It will put me to the test I am sure.

Hi Zeus,
No better experience than getting your hands dirty and learning on the job. Obviously read a good book Ted is great well worth keeping with you during your first few months. Courses run by local BKA's are a must but mostly over subscribed and possibly half way through by now.
The forum is great for asking questions but you may get a few different answers as with lots of things its a matter of opinion.
Good luck
Marc

Welcome Zeus, Re books, have a look at Northern Bee Books as well as Amazon. Good range, nice people too (Google is your friend)

Zeus,
You are getting a great welcome on the forum.
You will find the guys n girls are most willing to help if you have a question.
However if there are two beeks there will be more than two opinions on anything so deductive powers are useful therefore very clear questions are needed.

Just a couple of things
make sure you have enough space or somewhere to put them.
make a system and write everything down with photos as well( even your questions for this forum)
Bad beekeepers club by Bill Turnbull (BBC TV) it is not a text book but very funny indeed and well worth reading anyway.
Google - linda's bees Atlanta or go http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/
Linda has a blog that includes pictures and videos and written experiences. It is most instructional.

good luck and just go for it,
Michael

Latest posts

Back