Help with Research into Bees (and Humans!)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee_Curious

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there

I'm a University of Wales student, doing a Masters in Anthrozoology. I've just started some research into the relationship between apiarists and bees, and I would really appreciate it if you could take the time (10 minutes?) to respond to the below questionnaire. (please copy and paste into your browser)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W2ZDTMD

Also, do let me know if any questions/comments etc. Thanks for your input!

Kate (Bee_Curious)

Kate was kind enough to contact before posting this thread,so if anyone has a few minutes to complete the questionare then please do.

Nice to see a simple survey that doesn't reference the waggle dance or declining bee populations

Hopefully we'll get to see the final paper?

Every time I see a Masters questionnaire my heart sinks (and not just because I have a thesis outstanding!). There is an excellent tome on writing these things effectively (Bryman) and to get a good effective response really does need more than a yes/no/tell me about it.

Sounds like a really interesting degree, Kate. But a more structured questionnaire will get a much better response. Good luck.

to get a good effective response really does need more than a yes/no/tell me about it... But a more structured questionnaire will get a much better response. Good luck.
True, but the danger in starting with structure is that you construct it from what you already know. There are times when that works if the context is already clear but that's not the case here. A preliminary yes/no/why gives an unrestricted range of responses that you can follow up with detailed questions or interviews later. However, if that is the strategy you do have to keep the questions absolutely minimal and avoid any temptation of suggesting answers.

I answered 'no', but then stated why I said no. The word 'relationship' I felt was bit difficult to pin down. Did it mean "the bees get to know you and so are OK with you, in the folk lore type way" but then again I open up the hive and try and understand what is going on so in that sense there is a relationship. I have a feeling the Yes/No may be less relevent than the comments made.

Kate did say we can see the results when finished..

Notice how I agree to a survey from a member with a name like Kate,yet if your names something like Brian or Ian you dont get a reply.. :smilielol5:

Kate:
profilepic7285_1.gif

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken part in the survey so far. I will definitely try and post a link to the final paper once completed.

With regard to the format of the survey, this is intended as a preliminary survey, with the idea to hone in on some pertinent issues that can then be followed up in interviews. So - I've deliberately left the questions as open as possible! Including what is meant by 'relationship!'....

True, but the danger in starting with structure is that you construct it from what you already know. There are times when that works if the context is already clear but that's not the case here. A preliminary yes/no/why gives an unrestricted range of responses that you can follow up with detailed questions or interviews later. However, if that is the strategy you do have to keep the questions absolutely minimal and avoid any temptation of suggesting answers.

:iagree: Bryman is indeed excellent, and includes the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods - structured questionnaires are fine if you know exactly what it is you need to know, and want to do positivist research. This is about relationships, and the open-ended, interpretivist approach seems appropriate.

This survey will not, I'm sure, be all there is to it - it will give Kate an interesting starting point. (I did find the yes/no part of the survey difficult though! Just because I might feel I have a relationship with the bees is no indication that they feel they have one with me!)

and I've just realised my response to Tony was addressed to Flatters! Well done Kate :)

LOL

I've been called worse than that, Kate!!

I've a mate @ Bangor, studying environment and arboricultural eco-systems
he's also becoming an expert in rain ;)

I've always thought peoples relationships with animals is curious as a well as theirs with us.

With cats we evoke the neotonous behavour in them and then they evoke a parental response in us, and it works all the way up to adult tigers, although the largest non-domesticated cat I have been closely introduced to was considerably smaller.

The strangest thing is our relationship with cetaceans. We will happly get into the water with one the most efficent pack hunting aquatic predators (and will pay for the privelige!!!). Ask a herring about the dolphin's smile :eek:

And now there are grey whales which come to be petted by people in small boats.

Hi all

I've just checked survey status - 85 respondents, which is fantastic, so thank you.

I would love to make it to 100, so anyone else who has a moment to take part, if you can it would be Much Appreciated!

Also, I'll be at the National Honey Show for all 3 days (yep, I'm that keen) so please come and say hello if you're there too. I will be the girl holding a clipboard, probably looking a bit lost...:)

Latest posts

Back