Bee Research

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewinchcombe

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there everyone

I'm a veterinary student at the University of Nottingham and I'm doing a research project on bees.

The data for my research will come from survey responses and it would be great if any of you complete complete the survey to help me with this.

The respondents must be in the UK and keep British Black or Buckfast honey bees.

Respondents will be entered into a draw to win a £50 amazon voucher.

surveymonkey. com/s/GR9M9YM

Thanks so much
Eoghan Winchcombe

Last edited:
Hi Eoghan,
Just to let you know that most of us keep mongrels.

I've done it. I was a vet student once a long time ago. No vets at Nottingham then.

A couple of points

8. Most of us measure our honey in pounds/kilos not litres. I did the conversion for you

You will have problems with 11. Most of us don’t even count queen cups or record the number of queen cells if they are swarm cells. An average of queen cells is meaningless. One colony that doesn’t swarm won’t have any; another that is making swarm preps may have twenty or more. The non swarming colony cannot have ten queen cells attributed to it.

There is a gentelman here that has Brother Adams mating station and has one or two Buckfast bees.

Maybe I missed it but I would like to have been given some insight regarding what they are looking at? I wonder if the survey is going to be repeated as this year has been a very good year for my bees and I have taken a bumper crop, which I am putting down to weather. It may also be the stock I now have but its really too early to form any opinion?
S

But a valid point, if they are looking for 'pure' AMM bees then the survey need only apply to Colonsay - and they may be outside the UK by the end of next month. And is that AMM raised and bred in Britain or are we following the AMM Taliban in saying the gene must never have drifted away from these island in the last millenium or so. I havw Welsh bred dark queens but there are some zealots around who would not include them in the list so............ (as well as tin hat I have my firearms officer issue ballistic vest at the ready :D)

Part of the Unofficial definition of British Black Bee "smaller than the unicorn"

Latest posts

Back