Help with agressive hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minature_hero

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been keeping bees for about 7 years now and never had a hive go as bonkers as this! I've got them following even the day after a brief inspection and bee's stinging me while trying to sort them out and now the neighbour has been stung in the face. They were pinging off their window after she went inside!. I'm going to try to move these to an out apiary if I can find one but what's the best method of transport? I've got a trailer but this hive has 3 supers on at the moment.
Your help is appreciated.
:sos:

Force them down into a manageable box or two . Seal them up late evening and move them overnight or following morning. Wear your bees suit in the car just in case. Requeen ASAP
E

My lady friend bought several meters of fine white mesh netting to go over a constructed frame to protect the cabbages and sprouts, nothing can get in apart from air and water, i plan on making a couple of mesh cosies from the off cut's for moving hives in my car if i ever need too.

Thanks people, I appreciate your suggestions. I've moved bees before in that way but never with an aggressive hive. I'll give the move a go as soon as I can. Is transporting in a trailer not a good idea? They do tend to bounce a bit unless they have some weight in and I can't see the bees enjoying that journey.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Is transporting in a trailer not a good idea? They do tend to bounce a bit unless they have some weight in

Then add some weight, tie the hive down securely and travel more slowly? Not rocket science to alleviate your concerns.

I've been keeping bees for about 7 years now and never had a hive go as bonkers as this! I've got them following even the day after a brief inspection and bee's stinging me while trying to sort them out and now the neighbour has been stung in the face. They were pinging off their window after she went inside!. I'm going to try to move these to an out apiary if I can find one but what's the best method of transport? I've got a trailer but this hive has 3 supers on at the moment.
Your help is appreciated.
:sos:
Help. I have the same problem, but no place to which I could move the hive. They were aggressive last year, but now they hang around the house about 60m from the hive waiting to attack. If I go out in the car, they are waiting and arrive before I can open the door
I'm getting quite desperate and considering killing off the colony. Should I kill the queen (no replacement ordered yet) or close down the whole hive?

Go and find an out apiary before someone gets hurt. It's just a matter of politely asking.

PH

Help. I have the same problem, but no place to which I could move the hive. They were aggressive last year, but now they hang around the house about 60m from the hive waiting to attack. If I go out in the car, they are waiting and arrive before I can open the door
I'm getting quite desperate and considering killing off the colony. Should I kill the queen (no replacement ordered yet) or close down the whole hive?

Do you have someone who could take them off your hands temporarily to requeen?

Killing the queen with no replacement will likely make things worse - queenless colonies tend to be more aggressive. I appreciate that real life gets in the way but I think every beek should have an out-apiary up their sleeve.

Thanks people, I appreciate your suggestions. I've moved bees before in that way but never with an aggressive hive. I'll give the move a go as soon as I can. Is transporting in a trailer not a good idea? They do tend to bounce a bit unless they have some weight in and I can't see the bees enjoying that journey.

Even weighed down most trailers bounce all over even some of the big Ifor williams trailers bounce about which i would think make a big mess inside a hive, do you not know anyone with a pick up of some kind.

I am in canterbury. happy to house your bad hive untill requeened...

Thanks for the offer, but driving all that way with the monsters behind me would give me the shakes for life. Nice offer though.

I am in canterbury. happy to house your bad hive untill requeened...
Thanks for the offer, I'm trying to find something closer to home around Sittingbourne. They are at my parents in Ashford at the moment. I'll be in touch if I can't find an out apiary by the weekend when I'm planning on moving them away.
If anyone knows a location between Ashford and Sittingbourne in Kent that I could keep them until requeened I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for the comments regarding the trailer. I'll stick with strapping the hive down in the car.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to a forum member who helped me out with a temp apiary location. All moved now and requeening can start for this colony. Their temperament was much better today but still a few pesky ones following me about.

My sympathies, and my congrats on your perseverance. I'm afraid if they were mine I'd be reaching for the petrol can.

Latest posts

Back