Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peardrop

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
I joined today, because I want to keep bees.

My interest started two years ago, when a beekeeper at a craft fair in Kent took me into a net 'tent' with his bees, and I was hooked!
It has taken two years to save up and buy two new hives, and most of the gear.
I attended a 'hand on session last year, and a beginners course yesterday.

I now discover that there are no bees available! So I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

In the meantime I thought I'd Join the Wales Beekeepers and the BBKA and then I found this forum.

Hopefully I will learn some more before I actually 'get stuck in'

Hi,
I joined today, because I want to keep bees.

I now discover that there are no bees available! So I guess I'll have to wait until next year.
##

welcome

WELL WAIT A few weeks and you will see a few advertised on here in the Nuc for sale section, or go yo one of the beekeepers auction meetings, on saturday at Lincoln auction reported to be less than £100 for a full hive of bees

WHO told you no bees available, was it the course, who were they

i am sure some one on here from the newport wales area will set you right

why are you joining wales BKA and BBKA and not just your local Gwent BKA which surely gives you membership of wales and affiliation to BBKA

I tried on the internet, only 'foreign' ones for sale.
Then on the course yesterday, they agreed there were none available.
According to the BBKA site, there is no affiliation with Gwent.

I'm new to this, so I don't know what's what yet.

I did see a post on here with a name (Peter Shaw) who keeps bees near me, so I will give him a ring tomorrow and see if he can help

"According to the BBKA site, there is no affiliation with Gwent".

NO - what it says is there are no SUBDIVISIONS of Gwent BKA.

You need to contact:

Mrs Janet Bromley, Ty Hir, Monmouth Road, Raglan, Usk, Monmouthshire, NP15 2ET. 01291 690331

& check out their website (although doesn't seem to have been updated after 2007/8)

http://www.gbka.f2s.com/

Last edited:
Hi Peardrop. Welcome to the forum.
A few ideas for where to get bees....
- Put your hive out with frames and a swarm lure in it and you may get a swarm move in (it does happen).
- Keep bugging people at your local BKA. Quite often it may just be a case that you have to ask everyone a few times (some beekeepers may not yet be sure enough about their bees to commit to selling a nuc - might have to wait a month or so).
- Keep an eye on the classified ads in Beecraft magazine.
- Try bid 4 bees website.
- Have a look on the nucs for sale section on here.

Don't get downhearted - bees have a habit of surprising you!

Andy

Welcome Peardrop.

Also if you join your local association no doubt they will have a swarm co-ordinator which you should be able to give your name to and you can go on the waiting list if they get one. Always helps if your prepared to go along and lend a hand in getting them as well.

Also I agree with the posts before put you're hives out and try to catch a swarm, there are other threads on the forum talking about bait boxes for ideas so you might get lucky as now is a good time to start trying. I'm sure failing that you will be able to pick up a nuc soon if not either off the forum, local ass member, beecraft, internet just got to keep your eye out.

Before putting your hives out ,include a couple of fully drawn frames (cadged from a local beekeeper) this will increase your chances of catching a swarm :D

John Wilkinson

Good point from Itchyhives about the swarm co-ordinator. You need to get your face known with your BKA - go to all the meetings, talk to as many people as you can. If a swarm comes up you're more likely to get the call if you are better known rather than just a name on a list.

You could also check out the sale/wanted sub forum on this site, nucs do come up from time to time, although some of us believe in 'local 'bees, thats local to you, not necessarily any particular strain:.)

i still rather worried who told him no bees, is it someone who has a vested interest in selling him bees at a high price

quick one day couse and buy my bees rather than teach beekeeping

pear was it based in gloucester or a bee shop

Hi and welcome to the forum:cheers2:

Do a Google search for an apiary in the Tonyrefail area. You may get lucky there:gnorsi:.

their are bees for sale on beecraft and ******** at this moment. there are bees around and the swarm season has yet to start. i would offer you some bees for free if you are willing to travel the distance

Latest posts

Back