Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blunt Spike

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello from Loggerheads near Market Drayton. This is my 1st year as a beekeeper. At the moment I have one hive which I took over the care of when its previous keeper couldnt spare the time to look after it. I am hoping to expand to possibly 3 hives next year but can see how quickly the hobby could mushroom into something beyong a hobby. They are such fascinating little creatures and I love to just watch the hive entrance as they come and go about their daily business. Can anyone recommend a honey extractor, are there do and donts to know when buying one?:thanks:

:welcome:
Lots of manual extractors on ebay. Ignore the old galvanised ones - illegal. Time to buy is winter when no-one is doing any extraction...

Welcome and good luck. All depends on budget really. I only have a couple of hives and a cheap two frame extractor from Amazon does me at the moment. Around £100 I think.

Hello and welcome, i could post a link or picture of an extractor for you that i have a look at that works fine for me, however i do not know your budget or level of experience with these wonderful little insects.

Last edited:
I have a four frame plastic tangential hand crank from thorne. I use it if I have just one or two supers to extract. It's easy to clean because you can take the cage out. It's useful for spinning unwired frames ( cut comb that didn't work for example) as the screens support the comb and it doesn't shatter. I also have a drill driven eight frame stainless steel radial from Giordan, supplied by Agri Nova. It's a really nice extractor. It has extra tangential screens so that you can spin brood frames, both standard and 14x12 It was the cheapest of its kind when I bought it but I think Abelo do a better value one these days

Welcome Blunt :)

Yes. They are a bit fascinating :)

Don't know about extractors, I would suggest "Wife" :)

As you only have a single hive, join your local assoc they should have one you can borrow.

When you have more hives I would look at Giordan, these are well made and I've yet to hear of anyone have a problem with them. I own one of theirs.

When I started I used a hand operated spinner bought in the Th*rnes sale.
I used it once and decided manual is not the way for me.
The best advice I can give is buy one a little bigger than you plan for and buy electric.
The price of electric spinners continues to drop making them a great investment.

My brother however chose to extract his honey harvest through a muslin cloth over the kitchen table.

Latest posts

Back