Hello!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyreb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Folks....I'm new to bee keeping,doing a course with Sleaford BKA,I've no equipment as yet ,so any advice would be gratefully exepted

Cheers Darran

Hi Darren,

Welcome!

Hope you enjoy the course.......

.........and this Forum.

Funny place, actually. Generally really pleasant and helpful gals and guys - but some weirdos, some who get up themselves, and some who get VERY CROSS!!!
But it's invaluable.

When I was in your position, I started this thread, which you might find interesting.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14039

Enjoy!

Dusty.

Hi and welcome

Learn from your association - watch everything going on.

If you're being offered a nucleus and looking after it during training check the floor every time you go in also try to check it before your mentor (he might be clearing the chalkbrood off before you arrive ;) )

DON'T buy any of their second-hand rubbish that comes with the "Oh I'm just buying new stuff would you like my old stuff cheaply". They're buying polystyrene and dumping their wood or ply on newbies.

Of course they may be thoroughly honourable, upstanding citizens :rolleyes: .......... Caveat emptor!

There's good advice on here and many experienced people - Finman - Hivemaker - Oliver90 - Poly Hive - In-the-Lions-Den - Drstitson to name but a few

"gratefully exepted"

Hope you mean accepted or even welcome. :)

BOL

Additionally, try to avoid the word pedant - it is always used incorrectly on these forums.

Last edited:
Funny place, actually. Generally really pleasant and helpful gals and guys - but some weirdos, some who get up themselves, and some who get VERY CROSS!!!
But it's invaluable.

Hi Darren,

It's pretty much the same as most active forums, though some are far worse than others!

I'm a newbie too. I'm attending a 12 week basic course with Blandford and Sturminster Newton BKA in Dorset. Going well, so far, as no-one's been stung. Up to a couple of weeks ago everything I knew about bees was from books - or this forum. The course has already proved invaluable by helping me get my plans sorted out without wasting money on unnecessary kit.

Good luck with your beekeeping!

Derek

Welcome to the forum Darran. Sit back, get comfy and read - there's so much info and experience on here. I've found everyone nice and helpful (and so far no-one has commented on my dyslexic typing).

Ziggy

'cos you use the spellchecker, I reckon!

LOL
Spell checker doesn't fix typo's - the more I type the more knotted my fingers seem to get. I tried texting on one of the touch screen phones once, big fingers - tiny "keys" it was unintelligable.:eek:

Latest posts

Back