Hello from Dorset

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordoncoll

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi

I’m Gordon, I am new to this, got gifted a hive(empty!) and am just starting out on the journey in Weymouth Dorset. Will doubtless be asking lots of silly questions.

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Hi, done any courses? Got any bees ordered? Don't be afraid to ask but up to you which answers you chose!
Welcome

Answers

I am trying to book a course but they are all daytimes which is awkward!!!
No I have no bees yet, still assembling kit. Got gifted a hive which I have cleaned and disinfected. I need all the other bits and bobs. Also I have been talking to the local beekeepers association who advise I may want one more hive so am looking for another one 👍👍👍😳

The most important thing to do before you spend money is have a go with a local beekeeper. See if you can actually stand having the bees round you. I started many years ago with no courses, no computers, just one book called bees at the bottom of the garden which is still a good read. If it hadn't been for a chance mentor who helped me out I would probably have given up. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
E

Good morning and welcome to a hobby which may soon take over your life...we all wanted only 1 or 2 hives to enjoy so if this is your plan scrap it now unless you keep selling surplus....but then again, they are your bees so you don't want to sell and end up like most with too many hives :)

As above, please consider doing the course with your local club first, it is really worth it. When buying bees also do some research and ask because there is an equal number of very good and bad suppliers or bees out there + some lines which may be more suited for beginners than others. Enjoy

I am trying to book a course but they are all daytimes which is awkward!!!
No I have no bees yet, still assembling kit. Got gifted a hive which I have cleaned and disinfected. I need all the other bits and bobs. Also I have been talking to the local beekeepers association who advise I may want one more hive so am looking for another one 👍👍👍😳

The various Association courses I've been aware of seem to be evening based spread over several weeks. Are you by any chance thinking of commercial type courses which are crammed into a short period? Find your nearest local beekeeping association which runs suitable training

Hi Gordon,
Welcome to this brilliant hobby which will destroy your ability to sleep soundly at night. Worrying and planning strategies will take over.
Like the others I recommend doing a course, I found it very worthwhile.
I'm reasonably close to you and will contact you (if you like) if I gain any swarms this Summer, that end up surplus to requirements. I have three hives and only want to grow by one more this year.

I suggest you contact the Weymouth and Dorset association, who meet at the Colliton club in Dorchester. Not a bad bunch and can organise a course and have a mentoring facility.
Anyway, all the best to you.
PS I'm in Dorset not Somerset now

Welcome, i started 3 years ago so still learning. I am in Blandford so if you want to have a look inside a hive and see how you feel surrounded by bees before making any significant purchased PM me you'd be welcome.

Welcome, i started 3 years ago so still learning. I am in Blandford so if you want to have a look inside a hive and see how you feel surrounded by bees before making any significant purchased PM me you'd be welcome.
:winner1st:
How I wish that all potential beekeepers would go have a proper look at some bees in a real beekeeping environment... far too many start with just seeing a couple of how to do it video on their winter beekeeping course......

All the gear and no idea!

:calmdown:

Latest posts

Back