Hello from Cumbria

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoP

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm starting beekeeping again after a 4 year break.

I kept bees when I lived in Spain but never managed to harvest any honey - my colonies were from inexpertly performed splits and the standard Layens hives there are quite interesting (although I converted to Smith hives). I'm hoping that with a proper nucleus to start with I'll be more successful this time round.

Anybody in Cumbria or Northumberland got a nuc or colony for sale?

Sorry not from that area but Welcome all the same

:welcome: As an expat geordie I know there are a number of forum members from your neck of the woods, good luck.

I too am an expat geordie who has found himself on the wrong side of the country. But better slightly too far west than slightly too far south ;)

I too am an expat geordie who has found himself on the wrong side of the country. But better slightly too far west than slightly too far south ;)

Ah but it is usually quite a bit warmer down here - note the "usually", not so at the moment it is overcast and decidedly chilly:ohthedrama:

I meant slightly south of the Tyne. I lived in Northen Spain for a few years and kept bees there in the local hive - a Layens. Like a top bar with frames.

I think it was twenty frames 12x14 (not 14x12) and no supers or QE. The outer frames were harvested. Great for transport, crap for varroa.

Ah...Willie Bee...say it out loud with a geordie accent and it all makes sense!

Thanks to this forum I now have two colonies and I'm a happy man!

Latest posts

Back