Hello from Birmingham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveoneflowers

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi to you all, I am new to the forum and beekeeping so be gentle. I have built m first warre hive and collected most of the equipment. Now I'm waiting to find the bees, no doubt I will be asking your advice on this later. So hi to you all and I hope I can be of help to you as we'll. I'm good at making the hives.
Thank you,
Dave.

Welcome. Probs you need some training, or at least a mentor more than bees?

Yes

I am learning as much as I can but as in anything you have to start somewhere.
I am close to three beekeepers they are helpful and suggested the way to start.

Hi Dave - and welcome!

Quite a feat - making your own Warre from scratch!

I do recommend a course, if you can get on one.

But having 3 mentors is a good start!

Enjoy the Forum!

Dusty

Thank you

Making the hive is the easy part, I like the idea of the warre, natural. I hope to learn, the bees health and well being is my concern. One thing is bees are free, if you have got it wrong they can go. So, we will see. One of the three beekeepers have lost a lot so the years have not helped them that much. Natural seems good control is bad.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Nothing particularly natural about a Warre. It is still a man-made beehive.

Hands-off, I agree; that may be good, or not so good, dependent on what happens in the hive. I am surprised that three beekeepers agree on the format.

Control is very good if the 'natural' is in trouble! As I have said many times, there is no such thing as a natural beekeeper. It is an oxymoron! (Let us investigate this: tell me have you allowed the bees to build comb at whatever pitch they choose? Thought not. QED?)

Yoiu seem locked into the Warre system. Hope you like it and it lives up to your expectations.

RAB

Natural

Time will tell, as I said I have just started. I do think that natural is relative. Some of the chunks of polystyrene that is around seems a lot further away. Also it is not so much as agreeing with the hive it is not having anything against a system I want to try.

Hope you keep posting your ups and downs, both of having 3 mentors and of your adventures in trying a new hobby you know little of so far.

Out of interest, what kind of setup are all your mentors running - it's be good if they were all running different types so you (and we) could compare.

And where are you hoping to 'find' your bees from. Is it kind of 'finders keepers' plan that you have or is it 'find' as in from one of your mentors gives/sells you some?

Back