Hello- Again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Shocked at how quickly Ten years has passed, been ages since i have been on the site so a little Hello to all the new faces & Those from back in the day
still got my bee's and with the current situation looking to really get stuck i this year and perhaps a good Honey Season.
Appear to have gained too kids and lost a lot of time to do my own stuff!!

Shocked at how quickly Ten years has passed, been ages since i have been on the site so a little Hello to all the new faces & Those from back in the day
still got my bee's and with the current situation looking to really get stuck i this year and perhaps a good Honey Season.
Appear to have gained too kids and lost a lot of time to do my own stuff!!

It's been a while ... welcome back ..you'll have a few hundred pages of what did you do in the apiary thread to keep you occupied.

sure do!!!

i see lots of the same questions too....

feeling out of date on My Verhoa Mite treatment options.

sure do!!!

i see lots of the same questions too....

feeling out of date on My Verhoa Mite treatment options.

Going from the results of five colonies treated with Apitraz and three from vapourized Oxalic acid mix in the Autumn gone Apitraz is top of my list..

Amitraz is easy.
Add strips and forget for weeks but if you’re going to use it, it makes sense to alternate it with something else year on year.
Resistance will happen
I’m sticking to oxalic. Yes more work but with only a few hives it’s hardly a full time job.

Going from the results of five colonies treated with Apitraz and three from vapourized Oxalic acid mix in the Autumn gone Apitraz is top of my list..

The downside of Amitraz is that it's a synthetic chemical that affects the nervous system of insects and arachnids. I'm not an organic zealot but prefer more natural treatments. Oxalic acid is an organic compound ( = found in nature) eg. in spinach and rhubarb as well as in the animal kingdom. As the calcium salt it might cause you painful colic if you pass a kidney stone (calcium oxalate). Thymol derivatives are also organic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitraz

The downside of Amitraz is that it's a synthetic chemical that affects the nervous system of insects and arachnids. I'm not an organic zealot but prefer more natural treatments. Oxalic acid is an organic compound ( = found in nature) eg. in spinach and rhubarb as well as in the animal kingdom. As the calcium salt it might cause you painful colic if you pass a kidney stone (calcium oxalate). Thymol derivatives are also organic.

Each to there own.. i was talking to a very successful and very friendly bee farmer some time ago when i went to The Abelo sale to get my bit's..i think i will take his advice ..;)

:iagree:
Randy Oliver wonders if there is a link between the introduction of Amitraz and CCD in the US.

Well seeing as amitraz is used in many parts of the world without cases of ccd then he can wonder no more!!

So after a big three day shed tidy up it appears I have forgotten stock of unbuilt supers to keep me busy,
Going to get some feeders on my 3 hives tomorrow, each hive had two partially filled supers under brood box heading into winter but feel a bit light now,
Hoping warmer weather not far off, dandelions out in full now.

Latest posts

Back