hefting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I haven't quite mastered hefting so I put a screw into the side of the floor and hooked my carp weighing scales around it,when I lifted it one hive weighed 41lb and the other 37lb,both hives are nationals and have one super on which i left them on when I extracted my honey,when weighing this way should I double the weight?,bearing in mind that I only weighed one side of the hive with the other side still resting on the stand.

that's what I go by. No expert but logically, it can't be far off to double it. I'm expecting to be corrected any moment..

Why not strap them up with ratchet straps and then weigh them

darren,

Yes, gently lifted so it's only just off the floor = half the weight, so double to get the total.

This assumes the stores are distributed evenly so you can be a purist and weigh both sides and add together.

It's best to have someone to read the scale as the key is to only just lift enough to take the weight.

Thats what I suggested to my husband
:smilielol5::smilielol5:
The 14 x 12 with a super under I left on at the beginning of October weighs 90lb!!!!

He said he nearly pulled a pudding trying to lift it.
We weighed each side separately :)

Many many thanks for posing this question. As someone with less than 3 months experience "Hefting" is a bit of a mystry i.e. what weights should be. I have a fishing scales somewhere (from times past) and will apply same. Perhaps then get advice on weights from the forum - One very full hive and one hived "Nuc" with dummies so weights will be different. Still very active here ... 16C today and both hives very very active ... fondent being readied.

You could also weigh the hive after the last super is off, then re-weigh when autumn feeding is finished to get some idea of what stores are in the hive. If they are weighed at regular intervals during the winter, it may be possible to get some idea of the state of the stores.

A graph would make it interesting to see how they are consuming the stores and if fondant needs to be added. Not very scientific, but could be of interest to some.

ok if you are a weight lifter....90lb ish is more than I can manage, arms outstretched over a hive........use the stand as a fulcrum and double the reading is what i do...looking for 40-45lb on the spring balance, but now i just heft and only weigh the light ones to calculate extra feed

Last edited:
Slang terms are obviously different where you come from!!!

"Pulling your/the pud" is nothing to do with lifting heavy weights!!!!

Surely that depends on the size of your pud ;)

Latest posts

Back