heather watch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have to apply for heather permits, same as in Hampshire?

There's a number of farms right up to the edge of the heather by jbm and most people put hives there including me.one guy came from oxford last year.

Went passed our BKA Heather site today to see as I was nearby.

Very depressing. Ling has 1 or 2% flowering, Bell flowering well.
d08f8b34cbf2eb64f4ffb343b11b0df7.jpg
9f4f8d418366c66dd08382585aefc93b.jpg
8ce4e4bbaa03706337ac58959e2ab9f2.jpg

At least two week to wait??

Good evening all, I have been offered to take a few hives down to Fishguard, West Wales for the heather. As I don't know the area very well was just wondering how much heather there is in the area.Thanks in advance.

Just come back from taking five colonies onto the staff moors. Plenty of heather in bloom, here's hoping to a decent flow and weather

Good evening all, I have been offered to take a few hives down to Fishguard, West Wales for the heather. As I don't know the area very well was just wondering how much heather there is in the area.Thanks in advance.

There's plenty much closer to you, Blaenafon or the mountain road to Maerdy?

There is a bit of a story to this. A neighbour of mine was left three hives and some equipment by a mate of his that used to keep them down West on his land, So he brought the home to aberdare so I could show him the ropes, he's doing ok now so wants to take two of his hives along with two of ours as he was talking to a local beekeeper and he had said the heather was good down there.

I've been walking in the mountains above the Conwy Valley today. Ling heather looking great. Good weather is forecast for the rest of August. Ground is full of moisture.
My bees at home, a mile from the nearest heather, have a good aroma of heather honey.
It could be a heather honey year to remember.

I've been walking in the mountains above the Conwy Valley today. Ling heather looking great. Good weather is forecast for the rest of August. Ground is full of moisture.
My bees at home, a mile from the nearest heather, have a good aroma of heather honey.
It could be a heather honey year to remember.

I hope so...
My hives are 0.3 mile from a small patch and there's a lot of ling about a mile away. I've had bees for 4 years and they've never filled a super after the middle of August. Do you think I should move the bees closer? Or could it be the dreadful August's we've had recently?

I hope so...
My hives are 0.3 mile from a small patch and there's a lot of ling about a mile away. I've had bees for 4 years and they've never filled a super after the middle of August. Do you think I should move the bees closer? Or could it be the dreadful August's we've had recently?
No need to move closer. My hives at home are over a mile from heather, and they will work the heather in a good year.

Thanks - good article ��

Last edited:
Back