HB conspicious by absence?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
None of my hives are working it it seems. Last year this time it was pouring in.

How are you finding it?

PH

My bees are ignoring it mostly, more interested in the bell and ling.

It's been around here for a few weeks and my bees didn't seem to be interested - but the last few days they've been going bonkers for it - not really a golden throng but white specks darting to and from the hive - it's like being in a blizzard

If they can find something else they prefer they may well opt for this to give them a balanced nutritional intake

Talked to RBI last week he reckons the nectaries in HB shut off when the temperature gets too high and it yields best at lower temps.....No figures....No experience of it myself....

I noticed funny looking bees with white strips on their thorax coming back today, the other hives are working HB but no white bees!
I took a pic but it's not great
View attachment 7191

My bees are going mental on something these last days, but no idea what it is (inspect tomorrow, but so many sources, makes it hard to tell). But it isn't HB, as none showing.

Bees are all coming back with the tell tale HB sign. Very warm here today, so I do not think high temperatures are a factor. I went for a little walk to a field full of balsam and it was alive with honey bees and bumble bees and all sorts of other hymenoptera

My bees are working the stuff well into twilight although there is still rose bay willow herb and golden rod in flower plus loads of othe rforage sources :)
VM

I was doubting we had it in my area as I hadn't seen any white bees or any HB on the banks of the river!
But my mentor did say it was around and she lives 5 mins walk from me!

Lots of HB in flower. Bees coming back with it in quantity but also golden rod, rosebay and poppies..

Ditto Association apiary.

Only 20-22C here..

it's scorching here the last few days and bees are coming in - some with the tell tale white marks, others with such a dusting of yellow they look as if they've been marked with this year's queen markers!

No sign of my bees working it - or anything else - at present.

But maybe that will change when (if) it ever stops raining and warms up a little!

:iamwithstupid: New bee, Could somebody please tell me what HB Is.

Back