Hazels out.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no such thing as a male or female tree.

They are plants not animals!

Sorry but that's not correct. Look no further than holly where there are separate male and female trees.

just going off rail slightly and hope you don't mind but the gorse bushes here are just showing yellow flower buds, a few weeks early for this patch

"Goat willow is dioecious, which means that male and female flowers grow on separate individual trees. Flowers appear before the leaves. Male flowers are grey, stout, oval catkins turning yellow when ripe with pollen. Female flowers are longer, green at first, developing into woolly seeds. Goat willow is wind pollinated."
Weeping willow is also a dioecious tree, but not Hazel.

"Goat willow is dioecious, which means that male and female flowers grow on separate individual trees. Flowers appear before the leaves. Male flowers are grey, stout, oval catkins turning yellow when ripe with pollen. Female flowers are longer, green at first, developing into woolly seeds. Goat willow is wind pollinated."

From spring 2013. goat willow, two separate trees - Salix caprea. If the weather behave it boost colony build up so fast at my place it is joy to watch them grow and speed up my work to catch the step with their development..

just going off rail slightly and hope you don't mind but the gorse bushes here are just showing yellow flower buds, a few weeks early for this patch

Another bit of useless information is that we have two different types of gorse, English gorse and European gorse which is the one that smells strongly of coconut. They open at different times of the year but the English one is preferred by our own species of butterflies etc, however the European gorse can quickly oust the English variety. I think that is right, I am trying to remember what I was told on a walk with Shropshire wildlife trust.....it was far more interesting than I could ever have believed, the amounts of grasses, wild pansies and different fauna amazed even me!
E

Not at all Redwood and Enrico,
Please tell when we can expect some pollen and what colour!

Gorse usually flowers here in February and bees will start working it as soon as it's warm enough for them to forage out. Great little video below
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHdoABM7bc8&noredirect=1"]Gorse + Bees, February and March, 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Hi Redwood and Goran,
Great video and pics. Can even see the bee stuffing the pollen in with the leg in front. Like to see the colour of the pollen as it is being collected Gorse as said orange (a bit dirty orange) and willow very clear yellow. Can't wait roll on spring!

Very nice shot Ericha. A fluffy young bee as well.

There is no such thing as a male or female tree.

They are plants not animals!

Sorry but that's not correct. Look no further than holly where there are separate male and female trees.

And Juniper

And Monkey Puzzle trees, (Araucaria araucana)!

N.B. Hamamelis is Witch-Hazel
Likewise, whitchazel smelling so strong. No bees flying though!
E

Hamamelis is flowering too.

Point taken, but the tree in question Hazel is monoecious.

Point taken, but the tree in question Hazel is monoecious.

I never stated that Hazel was dioecious! Merely questioned why I had not seen any bees around here on them. Could be that they are spoilt for choice!

Hi Oscarmonster,
Thanks for posting. Just been out for a walk and some Hazel out here too. Must get out more often as my garden Hazel is well behind the rest it would seem. Next day of sunshine, whenever that might be, I must spend some time to see if there is any pollen coming back as stores will diminish quickly when brood rearing starts. Thanks again to you and all the educators on the forum.

Hi Oscarmonster,
Thanks for posting. Just been out for a walk and some Hazel out here too. Must get out more often as my garden Hazel is well behind the rest it would seem. Next day of sunshine, whenever that might be, I must spend some time to see if there is any pollen coming back as stores will diminish quickly when brood rearing starts. Thanks again to you and all the educators on the forum.

Never really included myself as one of the educators! I leave that to those who type in bold.
I just come here to be sarcastic and wind people up.
I guess we all have something useful to contribute sometimes.

Back