Hazels out.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just notice the first Hazel flowers out today. Pollen just blowing in the wind, no bees venturing out today.

Likewise, whitchazel smelling so strong. No bees flying though!
E

I noticed some out yesterday near Norwich. Mine are very tightly furled. Warmer in't big city.
Cazza

Not sure we count as big city. But our house is draughty so maybe there is some localised warming here.

Got some bushes in flower by us, and one of our hives was out on thursday. The other hive thought it too cold - it was 8C so you can't blame them for wanting to stay in.

Hi all,
Lots of common Hazel nearby, nowhere near that stage here. Warmer up north then? Never seen a bee on any hazel around here though??? Not the right kind of hazel? Cut my willow down as it turned out to be female and interfering with neighbouring prunus which the bees do get pollen from.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Lots of common Hazel nearby, nowhere near that stage here. Warmer up north then? Never seen a bee on any hazel around here though??? Not the right kind of hazel? Cut my willow down as it turned out to be male and interfering with neighbouring prunus which the bees do get pollen from.

Fifty years since I was studying school biology but isn't pollen a male gammete? Surely a male willow is a good source of pollen and nectar to attract insects or am I missing something here?

Yes, of course Gilbert me being sexist.

Hi all,
Lots of common Hazel nearby, nowhere near that stage here. Warmer up north then? Never seen a bee on any hazel around here though??? Not the right kind of hazel? Cut my willow down as it turned out to be female and interfering with neighbouring prunus which the bees do get pollen from.

I don't think there is a "wrong" kind of Hazel.
When the pollen is being let down, the weather obviously has to be right for the bees. Quite often this does not coincide and so no bees are seen.
It may also be that Hazel only lets pollen down at certain times of the day (can't find info re this for Hazel) so you miss it?
I have "wild" and cultivated Cobnut type Hazel on my land and if the conditions are favourable, the bees will work them all.
Cazza

I don't think there is a "wrong" kind of Hazel.
When the pollen is being let down, the weather obviously has to be right for the bees. Quite often this does not coincide and so no bees are seen.
It may also be that Hazel only lets pollen down at certain times of the day (can't find info re this for Hazel) so you miss it?
I have "wild" and cultivated Cobnut type Hazel on my land and if the conditions are favourable, the bees will work them all.
Cazza

Thanks Cazza I shall persist then. I shall not cut down the Hazel in my garden though it is so pretty in the spring.

Hi all,
Before anyone follows my example of cutting down a female flowering tree they do produce nectar. Male trees as well as producing pollen also produce nectar. Over and out!

Hazel has male catkins and tiny little red female flowers on every tree, look closely. I know they are not male and female per say but makes for easy explanation. There are trees that produce male flowers and others that produce female flowers ..... holly is a fine example. And yes...once again they are not truly male and female but .....you get the gist of it!
That's what I think anyway!

Hazel has male catkins and tiny little red female flowers on every tree, look closely. I know they are not male and female per say but makes for easy explanation. There are trees that produce male flowers and others that produce female flowers ..... holly is a fine example. And yes...once again they are not truly male and female but .....you get the gist of it!
That's what I think anyway!

Hi enrico,
I do remember that now you mention it. However, I did not manage to catch it right last year - either they were not out yet or they had gone over!

Latest posts

Back