Haynes or Hooper?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
A friend I'm mentoring has a birthday coming up. I was thinking of giving them a book on beekeeping although haven't used any myself to be able to review. Can anyone advise which is 'better' - the Haynes Bee Manual or Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey?

A friend I'm mentoring has a birthday coming up. I was thinking of giving them a book on beekeeping although haven't used any myself to be able to review. Can anyone advise which is 'better' - the Haynes Bee Manual or Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey?
It depends - if they are in Year 1 or 2 of beekeeping or they are happier following a recipe rather than knowing how things work - It's Haynes - can't be beaten for beekeeping in the early years.

If they have a few seasons under their belt and are capable of reading a fairly lengthy, technical and informational book - with a fairly outdated style and some bits out of date - then it's Hooper.

I have both on my bee shelf - Hooper is the standard reference tome (although I rarely dip in these days as most things you can find on here) - I've grown out of Haynes.

Haynes has four indexed entries on "defecation" and no entry on "Demaree". :poop:
YES ... But like I said Haynes is painting by numbers for early years beekeepers ... I know beekeepers with 10 years + under their belt that have either never heard of Demaree or have completely misunderstood what it is for ....

which is 'better' - the Haynes Bee Manual or Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey?
Horses for courses: Haynes, with its photos and easy instruction for novice beekeepers can't be beaten.

Hooper is useful further down the road, though I agree it's a bit dusty now (first published 45 years ago) and was updated a while ago in an obvious and awkward style.

Another short fall is the teaching of SS cells which I think is bollocks, every one should be taught and sold on them as being a swarm cell what ever or where ever they are in a hive /colony and act to on them as a potential swarm that will leave if cells aren't dealt with and culled down to one at some stage before the new VQ emerges.
Initial teachings should be kept simple until experience is gained then one can start playing at loosing swarms.

Latest posts

Back